Boat Hits Henley Bridge - Road Closed & Central Arch Closed

Harleyford_S37

Visit site
Sometime this afternoon a cruiser hit the central arch of Henley Bridge. It seems to have dislodged some of the stonework and the bridge is now closed to vehicle traffic and the central arch closed to navigation.

Apparently a crew member on the boat was air lifted to hospital after having been hit by the falling stonework.

Pictures http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Ih0VUqkus

Last edited:

BrendanS

Visit site
I missed the actual crash, I was there a bit earlier, but discovered the bridge was closed when driving through Henley a bit later, and no idea what had caused the problem, so just been on google and found the news, and then noticed this thread.

sarabande

Visit site
BrendanS - why aren't you being flayed alive, roasted, pickled in a butt of Malmsey, and utterly devastated to boot ?

or have you dealt with all that before breakfast ?:)

apollo

Visit site
Bridge is open again now.
EA turned up with flashing lights and breaking waves wash......about two hours after it happened, flash or what!

teddington_lock

Visit site
Richard and I used to slap the face as we went under Henley Bridge on my old mans boat many many years ago ....

Here we are , getting ready to slap ....

n720961813_498882_1311.jpg

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
Jeeez....

Richard and I used to slap the face as we went under Henley Bridge on my old mans boat many many years ago ....

Here we are , getting ready to slap ....

n720961813_498882_1311.jpg

Who is that skinny chap driving?

I thought of that photo when i saw this post! Was trying to find the Cookham one to show you can squeeze under in almost anything

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
I recall a freind doing that on the Trent and Mersey canal at Great Heywood. He had taken refreshment and thought it a wizard jape to jump onto the bridge from the front of the narro boat and off again onto the stern. He failed to spot it was a road bridge, he waited for the cars to apss and vaulted the parapet. The spalsh was quite large and I regret to say we left him in for a few moments while we laughed.

shades

Visit site
The cruiser hit the central arch - there are 5 arches in Henley Bridge, this can be seen in the original footage.
There should not be wanted posters looking for the canoeist, as he was not to blame. The canoeist went through the second arch (counting from the Henley side) NOT the centre arch.
Incidently, I have heard that the skipper who had part of the bridge bounce off his head was not seriously injured. He was airlifted to hospital because it was a head injury.

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
I dont get

The cruiser hit the central arch - there are 5 arches in Henley Bridge, this can be seen in the original footage.
There should not be wanted posters looking for the canoeist, as he was not to blame. The canoeist went through the second arch (counting from the Henley side) NOT the centre arch.
Incidently, I have heard that the skipper who had part of the bridge bounce off his head was not seriously injured. He was airlifted to hospital because it was a head injury.

How stuff fell as he did not hit bridge so must have been the inside of it?

shades

Visit site
My guess would be that the vessel was caught out by the twist that can occurr when halfway through the bridge and hit it as he exited, pulling the facing stones from the leading edge. (I could have been a detective)