Boat electrics

mulligan

Visit site
I am in the process of re-building a Robert Clark Mystery called Mystico, which is in Cyprus, we are getting close to putting her inards back, but as a result of 65 years of adding to the electrics I decided to rip the lot out. Firstly is there anyone out there who could design a simple electrical diagram which would give me trouble free ish maintanance, to include battery chargers nav lights, windless etc. Secondly can anyone tell me the best and possibly the most cost effective place to buy panels etc.

With kind regards

Ross

G

Don't think their is any such thing as simple wiring! Can recomend John Patnes' 'The Marine Electronics Bible' which is a mine of useful stuff if you haven't already got it.

Not a 'professional' but I have developed a wiring diagram for my 31ft which is faily gizmo free, Its a duel 24/12v system as my way of improving reliability. If your interested send me a personal mail with details of format needed and size ristrictions if any (drawings currently in Autodesk)

Roly, Voya Con Dios, Glasson, Lancaster

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Been there, done that thing, got the T shirt, as the Aussies say, but the chap who did mine has just decided to retire. I'll ask him anyway.

One idea that I found very worth while is using cable tray - given the fairly massive dimensions of the "proper" sort of large cross sectional area, tinned, multistrand, double rubber insulated cable, the decision to run a few lengths of tray through the boat paid for itself many times over!

Another thing, which is never done, but which is 101% worth it, is making the engine "two wire", not "earth return" - it solves 90% of stray current electrolysis problems. Curiously, this is a standard option on many diesel engines of just above sailing yacht auxiliary size....one wonders why and why we yotties don't insist on it!

ean_p

Visit site
Hi Roland
I'd be interested in seeing how you've arranged your charging layout for the 12/24v systems.....looked into it and came away thinking it was just too much hassle , what are your ideas please...

Ian P.

mulligan

Visit site
Thanks for your input, any help would be much appreciated.
I have almost finished the hull work which was required, new planks, sister frames and re-fastening all of which I feel happy doing, unfortunatly I have no idea about marine electrics and as a result am in the dark about cost and the length of time it would take to re-wire a 40 foot yacht etc. I have come to the conclusion that no one in Cyprus has the ability to undertake this work and am thinking of flying a marine electrician to carry out the work. There are a few problems one of which is the lack of tinned wire etc and so I am looking for the right man to carry out the work, if you or anyone could help I would be happy listen.

Kind regards

Ross

G

I used CPL Energy Systems to rewire the major components of my boat 2 years ago. I have had trouble free electrics since. He did an excellent job that included a custom switch panel. Chris Laming who runs CPL has a web site http://www.cplenergysystems.co.uk/ and is a big fan of wind and solar power.