Boat designers should be made to service them

G

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that engine room designers must think you have rubber arms.

On my boat (by no means the worst I have seen) the fuel tanks are outboard the engines. On the starboard engine this means that the oil filter is at the bottom of a 6in wide 3ft deep canyon. I have yet to change it without getting oil everywhere and having to use gallons of gunk afterwards.

Likewise the port engine has the fuel filter in a similarly inaccessible place. Both filters have to be replaced by feel as you cannot see the mounts.

All marine engines should be handed so that major servicing items can be mounted on either side.

If the bulkhead forward of the engines had been placed a couple of inches further forward, I could get the starboard raw water impeller out and replaced by simply removing the housing cover, as Volvo intended. Instead, have to remove the whole pump unit, change the impeller and put it back.

Is there a good reason why the echo sounder transducer is under the fridge?

Should I have to put my hand through the spokes of the steering wheel to operate the anchor winch at the lower helm?

I reckon designers should be made to undertake some of these tasks so that they might have some understanding of real life. e.g. For bad design I sentence you to change the belts in a TS31 while the engines are hot or I sentence you to replace the bilge pump in a Fairline Mirage or change the gaiters on Volvo 280 drives.

Nick

markc

Visit site
Nick

Well said!!! I have had to make a hole through the bulkhead in a side cabin [which still entails removing the central bedside cabinet and parts of both beds] just to change the impeller on the starboard engine!!!! I also have a similar problem with the oil filter on the same engine - it is remote, having been put on the back of the engine, but Fairline/Volvo were too tight to put the longer remote hoses on it and fit it in the centre of the bilge.

I know that the builders will blame us power hungry consumers who want the biggest poss engines, but they do push a point!!!

Mark

G

I made this point to Jake K. at MBY/M perhaps at the boat show we could have a competion for the manufactures of these boats, to change the starboard oil/impellor.
I have a princess 385 with the removal of the starboard drawers to get to anything.

G

I agree wholeheartidly with the above. However we as customers are partially to blame, we want big engines to go fast and we want maximum accomodation with the biggest bunks and cabins possible in the shortest boat possible. Until one engine manufacturer makes significant efforts to move oil filters, fuel filters and raw water pumps to an accesible location there will be no competition to enable us to force the issue.

Maybe we all ought to start buying small engined 60 footers so that we have room to walk all round the engines but then maybe we wouldn't go anywhere as it would take too long!

david_steward

Visit site
Re:Ever Tried ?

To repack the shaft glands on a Fairline Turbo 36? It is absolutely impossible without cutting a hole in the aft heads shower tray and its still a pig even then.

Whoever thought that this was a good idea or even an acceptable compromise should be strung up by the goolies.

Hanging is too good for them the utter utter b'stards

Rant over !

Dave S

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Having once taken an angle grinder to a generator sound shield in order to service it because Marine Projects had tucked it away neatly in an inaccessible corner of the lazarette, I agree with you completely.
The star prize has to go to the Turbo 36 which, as another poster has identified, has the worst access to the rear of the engine compartment I've ever seen or not seen, actually. In 3 years of ownership, being somewhat horizontally unchallenged, I never managed to inspect the sternglands and had to employ a particularly wiry local engineer for this simple task. I guess the Coventry Poly (oops sorry, Coventry University) degree course focused more on door handle styling issues
However, stand up Broom, for some kind soul tucked away in Norfolk does think about these things. My boat has:
Individual hatches for access to major service items
Bound carpet for easy removal
Saloon furniture removable in sections
Every floor panel lifts and each panel is identified for its position and orientation
All floor bearers can be removed
Treadplate in the bilge to stand on
Access hatches in the aft cabin for the stern glands
Hand pump and wander hose for small spills
240 V socket
Adequate lighting
If one manufacturer can do it, why cant the rest?

G

How about Sealine putting a crossmember is such a place that the rocker cover couldn't be lifted to check valve clearance. Why do the designers think that engines will never need to be serviced let alone come out of the boat?

Doug A

G

In fact my Reliant Robin Birchwood has all of these features. In addition she has excellent engine room lighting and access from the lazarette without lifting any panels. However, they still managed to get some tems wrong as disclosed above.

Even with individually removeable floor panels as mine has, it does not alter the fact that I have to lie on my not inconsiderable stomach on the rest of the floor panels and reach down to change the starboard oil filter by feel.

Nick

G

How about a motorboat design competition like the sailing mags run each year? It could give a chance for all the suffering boat owners to show the designer how it's done!

Other threads that may be of interest