Boat bbq's

laika

Visit site
Yes. The obvious flaw in the design is that disposable barbecues have holes in the bottom. This thing essentially provides a frame to hang your disposable in so you're in danger of little hot bits of charcoal falling out. That might make working out where to install it tricky as no-one wants glowing embers or bits of ash landing on their gelcoat.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
We've had a Weber gas bbq up on the flybridge for about 7 years now, would not want to be without it. Has been used literally hundreds of times, brilliant piece of kit.

gjgm

Visit site
Yes. The obvious flaw in the design is that disposable barbecues have holes in the bottom. This thing essentially provides a frame to hang your disposable in so you're in danger of little hot bits of charcoal falling out. That might make working out where to install it tricky as no-one wants glowing embers or bits of ash landing on their gelcoat.
Thanks all; yes we bbq alot on beaches etc, so can manage without one on the boat, but I tend to agree with the concern on hot embers blowing everywhere. I did also wonder about a health grill, but with an induction hob outside, I could just use a cast iron griddle pan.
It was more for somewhere calm at anchor, and so without adequate power... Does not yet seem to be a safe, cheap option -other than row to the beach !!

TheOrs

Visit site
hot embers blowing everywhere. ... Does not yet seem to be a safe, cheap option -other than row to the beach !!

This is why we chose the Lotus grill - No hot embers & the outside is cool enough that you can pick it up & carry it around whilst lit. The only slight problem is from spitting fat if you cook bacon (sausages, burgers are ok). I guess it fails on the 'cheap' aspect though.

Gwylan

Visit site

Anthony

Visit site
I second the Magma, I had one that used charcoal which was ok but carrying charcoal and lighter blocks was a pain, not to mention the clean up as a lot of what is left floats so dumping it over the side was not always an option. I now have one that uses the little disposable gas cylinders and the mount that puts the BBQ over the swim platform, and its perfect for social cooking. I would not want to use any BBQ near teak though, the odd suasage spit is ok on the GRP swim platform but I wouldn't want to try scrubbing it out of teak. The Magma is very high quality stainless, never seen the slightest spec of rust on either of them. The gas bottles dont always properly re seal after use so sometimes they can be single use, but thats probabley just the brand of bottle I get locally here.

Ants