Boarding ladder length

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Sorry, Searush,

but I'm 100% with the people advocating a rigid ladder extending well below water level.

I'm 49 & fairly fit, and wasn't over-clothed when I went into the water recently; the step at water level was impossible alone, I ended up being pulled into the cockpit after a great struggle by my very fit chum - alone, a non starter, but if I'd had a decent rigid ladder extending deep enough to get a foot hold on, it would be different, I think.

Remember it's not just the weight of sodden clothes, the trousers tend to vastly restrict movement of one's legs.

Please see the 'Are your Topsides Climbable ?' thread, on this forum.

Mine is rigid - but telescopic for storage. I have tried rope ladders, even with weighted rungs & rigid tubular sides, they are useless as they curl away when you try to climb. I agree water level is no good, I simply said it doesn't need to go 4' deep - 18" is ok for a reasonably fat pensioner like me.

Electrosys;
Sure, it won't be any good for the terminally ill 83 year old lady dropped by the Norwegians recently, but I don't have people on my boat that are that ill. It's mainly for me, - and possibly my family & friends. Why create issues that I know don't apply? :confused: This isn't about International Rescue, or EU Regulations, it's my experience on my boat for my personal safety. If you don't agree, that's fine - just do as you damn well please, but don't expect me to rush out to buy the gear you think suits your needs.

prv

Visit site
I agree water level is no good, I simply said it doesn't need to go 4' deep - 18" is ok for a reasonably fat pensioner like me.

I agree, at least for swimming purposes. And while I'm not a pensioner I can definitely put my hand up to the "reasonably fat" part ;)

I don't need to start with a knee on the step - I put a foot on the bottom rung of my ladder by bringing my knee up to my chest, then hold onto the ladder and straighten my leg to push myself up and out. The 4' part seems to assume people drift around vertical and rigid in the water.

I'm only talking about swimming here - I can't speak for MOB recovery in rough water as I've never tried it. But I wouldn't plan to use my ladder then anyway - it's buried in the stern locker whereas I have lifting tackles ready for action on each side of the boat (running backstays).

Pete

pcatterall

Visit site
I'm just considering a transom mounted ladder on my boat.( fairly vertical transom) I wonder if a completly rigid ladder would do? In my case in the up position it would nearly reach water levelwith the top being around the top of the pushpit ( and looking like part of it) Slid down the top would be just below deck level and the bottom rung well in the water. Sliding down betwean an upper and lower bracket and releasable with some kind of rope affair??

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
I'm just considering a transom mounted ladder on my boat.( fairly vertical transom) I wonder if a completly rigid ladder would do? In my case in the up position it would nearly reach water levelwith the top being around the top of the pushpit ( and looking like part of it) Slid down the top would be just below deck level and the bottom rung well in the water. Sliding down betwean an upper and lower bracket and releasable with some kind of rope affair??

I think it could be made to work, but the sliding mechanism could be difficult to build if you want to use the normal stainless tube. It can't slide through a wider piece of tube as the rungs will get in the way. Personally, I'd have it pivot around a hinge on the transom, with the up and down positions being more or less the same as your sliding approach.

Pete

William_H

Visit site
Ladders

Definitely you need to try your ladder from the water often to ensure it is usable in a MOB.
One person mentioned it is very important to have hand holds. Certainly the initial part of recovery is as much climbing with hands to pull the body up as it is lifting using feet. Mine extends about 30 cms below water line and does require a lot of arm work to hoist body up enough to be able to lift body with feet. deeper would be better certainly.
For real comfort ease you need to have a gap in the rail (side or stern) and you need a hand hold up even hight than the rail. Or at least a rail capable of taking a lot of outward pull. olewill

prv

Visit site
you need a hand hold up even hight than the rail.

Agree (unless you have a transom platform). With a ladder at the stern, this handhold is often the backstay and maybe you don't think about it. But with my ladder on the beam, I definitely needed something extra to hang onto, and have made a big chunky manrope (chain sennit) that hooks onto the stay at about head height (from deck) and hangs down next to the ladder.

Pete