BMC 1500 oil problem

G

Can anyone tell me how much oil should circulate around the rockers at the top of the engine? My BMC 1500 diesel has just had a full rebuild and although there is evidence of the oil pumping (filter full and oil pumping through the sender switch hole) the rocker area seems to be devoid of oil. How are they lubricated and where should oil be pumping from and how much. I have run the engine without the cover on and cannot see any oil flowing. Please help!!

H Bull

sonarbell

Visit site
Not wishing to piss on your chips , but, i would suspect the head gasket, maybe holes blocked or maybe not there even.!!!, I cannot be sure but think the oil is fed via a gallery thru the gasket.

Jcorstorphine

Visit site
I agree with "sonarbell" the oil is fed from the oil pump up thought the engine via the head gasket to the cylinder head. It is possible that the head gasket has been fitted upside down thus causing a blockage. If you examine the old gasket you will see a single hole approx 4 mm in diameter at one end. This has to line up with the hole in the block. It is over 15 years since I last rebuilt a BMC 1500 but I am sure you will find this is the problem.

G

Guys

Thanks for the replies so far. I think that you may have hit the nail on the head (I hope!). Keep your ideas coming. The more idea's the better!

HB

david_bagshaw

Visit site
Sounds likely,

Remove rocker shaft and injectors, crank engine with starter motor, oil should well up from small hole, if not sometimes the head gasket can be drilled through as a temp. measure, or poke a long wire down to check.

David

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by david_bagshaw on Mon Sep 3 06:58:36 2001 (server time).</FONT></P>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Agree with others that an oilway seems to be blocked. If I remember correctly there is a paper gasket beneath the rocker pedestals, only one of which is drilled for the oilway. Ensure that this has been fitted to the correct pedestal.

PeteMcK

Visit site
Can't remember whether it's possible to fit the head gasket upside down. First thing I'd do is take the rockers off and check that the appropriate pedestal, the one with the oil drilling, is fitted over the oilway in the top of the head (15 minute job). Oil comes up through this, into the shaft and then leaks out through drillings to lubricate the rocker bearings individually. There shouldn't be a Niagra Falls of oil like you'd get in many OHC engines but if it fires with the cover off it should be a bit messy just the same. If the gasket's been fitted upside down, I'd rather replace it properly (say 2 hours): you might as well get it right as you probably want it to run another 20 years without having to touch it!