Blue ensigns - defaced v. undefaced

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Is an undefaced blue ensigns superior to a defaced one?
I hope that no-one bites to this statement: I don't think of any ensign being superior or inferior to another one in the sense I think you are implying. They are all just ensigns.

As far as I am concerned, the only way that inferior or superior comes into sentences about flags, ensigns and burgees, is in the context of where they are worn or flown.

doug748

Visit site

No, the defacement is a like an extra qualification.
Think if it as like being a member of the institute of advanced motorists. So if you have any knotty problems, when out sailing, you should go to these people first for advice.
I often think that a similar scheme could work here, a sort of badge. You would then know which folk to listen to and which to ignore.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
No, the defacement is a like an extra qualification.
Think if it as like being a member of the institute of advanced motorists. So if you have any knotty problems, when out sailing, you should go to these people first for advice.
I often think that a similar scheme could work here, a sort of badge. You would then know which folk to listen to and which to ignore.
You are absolutely correct - and if you want help with cleaning your boat - or especially if you need advice and practical help with blocked toilets, and you are really lucky you will come across one of those yachts with a White Ensign. A cheery hale, and just go and ask - and you will be staggered by the response you get. I think you'll find that the best response is if you got straight to the point - don't bother with introductions just say the magic words, "Our heads are blocked, can you come and fix them please", and they will react in an instant. In fact you will be able to dine out on your experience for years afterwards.

Poignard

Visit site
Bob on.

You will doubtless be pressed to use their heads in the interim. Why not take the kids across and put them through the shower while you are at it?

.. or invite them back to share a few lagers and a Fray Bentos pie. And to meet the wife (" Don't mind 'er, smells a bit but an 'eart of gold")

:D

snowleopard

Visit site
if you want help with cleaning your boat - or especially if you need advice and practical help with blocked toilets, and you are really lucky you will come across one of those yachts with a White Ensign.

Oh dear! I have been sadly misinformed. I thought the white ensign on a yacht was called the 'gin pennant' so if it was flying you were invited to come on board for drinks. :(

awol

Visit site

Absolutely! The order of superiority - used to determine which vessel has responsibility for raising and lowering in morning and evening and who dips to whom is:
* the White Ensign
* the Blue Ensign
* the Blue Ensign defaced
* the Red Ensign defaced
* the Red Ensign
Rather like the TW3 sketch with John Cleese, Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbet

Poignard

Visit site
Absolutely! The order of superiority - used to determine which vessel has responsibility for raising and lowering in morning and evening and who dips to whom is:
* the White Ensign
* the Blue Ensign
* the Blue Ensign defaced
* the Red Ensign defaced
* the Red Ensign
Rather like the TW3 sketch with John Cleese, Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbet

And he who has no ensign can sleep on undisturbed, unless woken by the sound of bugles and boatswains' pipes.

VO5

Visit site
And he who has no ensign can sleep on undisturbed, unless woken by the sound of bugles and boatswains' pipes.

:D

I have a striking ships bell clock on board.
The chimes softly reverbate throughout and are a comforting sound even through sleep. They also allow one to have some grip on the passage of time and other benefits. But I have had ninnies on board that complain the bells keep them awake. My SWMBO says that a yacht without bells is not a complete ship:eek::D

VO5

Visit site
The Gin Pennant is not a White Ensign, just in case anyone here gets carried away with the wrong idea.

The Gin Pennant is a rectangular white flag with the outline of a wineglass in blue or black in the middle.

Harrummph !

Poignard

Visit site
I trust you have neither on board. The only allowed sound in the morning is the quiet whistle of the kettle prior to making the Admiral's tea!

That reminds me of the old story of the man who bought his first Rolls-Royce and was so pleased with how quiet it was that he phoned the sales manager, saying that at 60mph all he could hear was the ticking of the clock. The sales manager replied: "Yes - we really must do something about that".

snowleopard

Visit site
The Gin Pennant is not a White Ensign, just in case anyone here gets carried away with the wrong idea.

The Gin Pennant is a rectangular white flag with the outline of a wineglass in blue or black in the middle.

Harrummph !

Spoilsport!