Blue card and extended visas update

maxy

www.perfect-sailing.com
More news on 180 day visa extensions has been published in English here

http://www.fethiyetimes.com/expat-z...rify-that-a-tourist-visa-can-be-extended.html

This morning a meeting has been announced between harbourmasters, coastguard and chamber of shipping and its members re the 'Mavi Carte' system. It is scheduled for 01/04 , where the exact implementation of the new laws and the penalties for contravention will be confirmed.

Dig

Visit site
What is new on the first of April? do we have to fit more big tanks now for all gray water ????? how much will the fine be if a little water goes in the sea?

maxy

www.perfect-sailing.com
Turkey Blue card

I cant decide whether you have a naughty sense of humour or it's something else. But I Dig it man.

Its not an April fool, the meeting is on the 1st April. The meeting will explain what the authorities will do and how much they will fine you this year.

The news of the visas update is also on the Consulate site

http://ukinturkey.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/important-update

affinite

Visit site
Blue Card - Any news

Maxy - whats your take on the implementation of Blue Card ? Id like to cruise Bodrum - Marmaris area this summer but not if I have to fit grey water tanks.

maxy

www.perfect-sailing.com
Turkey Blue Card

We run a charter company here, and none of our boats have (or I suspect ever will have) grey water tanks.

This meeting, which we will attand should make clear the practical position. We will be raising questions like, Why dont harbours like Bozburun and Datca who charge for moorings have pump out facilities?

The real problem is the lobbyists get the law makers to create the laws without any consultation from experts, or those charged with enforcement. Its then up to the local enforcement to find a pragmatic solution which satisfies the law and the real situation. This is why after all the tooing and froing (excuse the spelling) they have yet again changed the rules re visas. You should remeber Turks, particularly in high places are never wrong, and will not to lose face or be contradicted. They have to find a way to make it all work.The locals need the income and are not so daft as to allow the law makers to wreck their income stream.

So to directly answer your question (ahead of the meeting) I expect a few clumsy individuals will get caught dumping carelessly, get caught, prosecuted and then it will all die down. It will send a clear message upstairs that their law was effective as no one else has been caught since!

Turkey is full of mostly very nice (if avaricious) people who want a quiet, easy, money making life. I can't blame them for that.

In due course we will report on the outcome of the meeting. I have been told these meetings are being organised along the coast, there is one in Antalya next week. Clearly they want the message out there.

basba

Visit site
what if?

After reading all new information posted here I called Marmaris Foreigners Office, unfortunately they have no new regulamentation, so we still have to give them an annual/ 9 months marina contract for staying in Turkey more than 90 days. We're waiting desperately for some good news.
For Blue card instead; I'm trying to find out a solution/easy way; in case these rules and their consequent fines will be activated: Is this rule saying that every boat does have grey water tanks on board? Even if you don't use water for any reason?
For example can I say that I don't wash myself, for toilet I go to the hills/land, eat only ready-to eat-food. I imagine that it wouldn't work, and my trial is so childish, but I tried my chance asking your opinion:(...

Squeaky

Visit site
Blue Card

Good afternoon:

Have it on good authority who does not want to be quoted that the Governor of the Mugla province who got "suckered" into authoritizing the "Blue Card" system has now been reassigned to Antalya.

There was a meeting in Kas this past week attended by all marina managers and various government departments where the Blue Card was discussed and it seems that it was accepted that this was unenforceable but as it is on the books the Coast Guard can take action is they are so inclined but are not expected to do so. Seems that this will be one of the laws available to hit you over head with if you don't behave correctly to the Coast Guard or other authority but generally not enforced.

As is often said in Turkey "the law is there for guidance, not enforcement".

I hope arm pits of the "do gooders" who started this farce are infested with the fleas of a thousand camels.

Cheers

Squeaky

Appleyard

Visit site
Ta Squeaky...that sounds reassuring. Do you reckon that we will still have to obtain the actual blue card though and have it just in case?
Does anyone have one at present?

OldBawley

Visit site
That the hitting on the head is done more often than you think is a fact.
Testimony my reply of March 2011.

quote:

Report on fine and nearly fine.

Last summer, a 35 year resident- liveaboard of one of the Göcek bays got fined approx. 50 € for spilling wood chips in the bay. As one of the first sailing tourists he decided to make that bay his “ Home base “ Assisting building the first restaurant, repairing everything technical for the farmers, helping two generations of locals wherever he could. Not an easy man to deal with, bit of a cowboy, living the life of the locals and in recent years becoming more and more bay-bound.
Now he was drilling holes in a wooden toe-rail and making some noise. Negligible to the restaurant and super yacht generators.
Since having a yacht is becoming popular in Turkey, that bay is the “ St Tropez” of the Turkish Riviera and our old cowboy fits no more. He speaks perfect Turkish so the coastguard officer explained that some “ new rich Istanbul important man “ had phoned and complained about noise and pollution. He made clear he had to fine or lose his job. Made the fine as small as possible, understanding this had nothing to do with pollution. Being respect-less for “ Important man “ costs money.
The coastguard being correct shows my near-fine.
In one of the Göcek bays, some big sailing yacht moors next to my small boat. Big crew of young men and older skipper. Yacht moored, I go on deck and ask for the skipper. Ask him to bring a bowline to the shore. Night wind will be from the opposite direction and his second anchor could do damage to the wooden davits of my bowsprit to quay moored boat. Indeed, more a boat than a yacht. The skipper, feeling insulted in front of his students refuses and declares he will personally stay on watch. That is ok for me, no more words spilled. He takes the night watch seriously, regularly a searchlight sweeps the deck. Nothing happens, there is no wind.
In the morning the coastguard arrives, straight to our boat. Apparently the skipper has called them, claiming I discharged the toilet. Skipper and one crew member point at a trough hull just below the waterline.
I invite the officer into the boat and show him that toilet, black water tank and discharge are on the other side of the boat. Explain him that my wife rinsed the coffee pot in the sink. Not a crime in those days. ( Now it is theo.) The officer tells me it is now my turn to complain for false statement witch I refuse because I suddenly remember never to have an argument with a pack of men.

Waiting for the wife to return from home. Nobody to talk to. Empty bays. Grumpy, grumpy.
Excellent site to spit some bile.

I have more of those story´s.

Last edited:

truscott

Visit site
Has anyone seen any feedback posted from the meeting that was to take place on the 1st of April regarding the Blue Card scheme?

PT.

maxy

www.perfect-sailing.com
Blue Card Meeting feedback.

Sorry for he delay.I had spent an hour writing it all, then the power went off, well this is Turkey!

Not a great deal to report sadly. The suits, sat in the front at the big table, explained how important they were etc. After almost an hour, the environmental engineer from Mugla (in the mountains) stated the "infrastructure was almost complete" which all present knew to be nonsense. There was no information about procedures or fines given. Eventually the floor was opened up for questions, then the fur started to fly. Several gulet owners stated that they had no objections to the system in principle, but it was unworkable because he infrastructure was inadequate and incomplete. Bozburun was specifically cited as a municipality owned and controlled harbour which simply didn't have proper pump-out facilities, and when pushed to accept blackwater simply poured it into the sea later. The suits tried to defend their ivory towers, but the men on the ground just shouted louder. They did also complain that foreign boats were checked less often than local boats, (which we know to be true) but was denied by the coastguard representative.

All in all a whitewash. Local Turkish popular opinion from maina management we spoke to believe all will remain as before. Get the blue card, use it as often as possible, but don't get het up about 45litres per person per day.

On the separate issue of 9 month Visas, there is some interesting news. A friend took a very capable interpreter to the 'Foreigners Police' at the Marmaris Cruise Port to enquire about the new arrangements and how to acquire such a visa. He was told quite categorically they knew nothing about it. Our Turkish friend then displayed the web page of the Mugla Polis website (on his tablet) showing them what is effectively the law, and demanded they do as shown. They refused citing, they will do nothing until their boss instructs them to do so. They then admitted they did know about the change but are concerned if they act without higher authority (although it is law) they will be reprimanded.

Please contact me if you have similar experiences that we can send to the Mugla Polis to 'encourage' them to implement this change.

Kevin

truscott

Visit site
Thanks for the update. Pity about the fact that the Blue Card is still such a mess, but as you say, that's Turkey.

PT.

Squeaky

Visit site
Good morning:

There has been a lot of discussion on this forum about the need to have a contract with a marina in order to get a residence permit if you wanted to remain in Turkey beyond the 90/180 days authorized by the initial visa received on arrival.

Last night I was told by the marina manager that he had received a draft of the new visa regulations which will connect the residence permit to the transit log rather than a marina contract meaning that cruisers will be able to use the transit log as "proof of accommodation" instead of the marina contract. This will be very helpful for anyone wanting to cruise the Turkish coast rather than leaving after 90 days or paying for a useless marina contract.

He expected this change will be official in a short time once comments on the draft have been received by the ministry concerned.

Nothing further has been heard about obtaining a transit log on line without the need to employ an agent.

I am beginning to think that the three year residence permit issued with only a one year marina contract may have been issued by mistake but I've got it and will not be bothering the authorities until it expires. I would be interested in learning if anyone is issued a such a multi-year residence permit.

Cheers

Squeaky

akyaka

Visit site
That is potentially good news Squeaky but as we know the speed of the authorities tends to run on slow.

am beginning to think that the three year residence permit issued with only a one year marina contract may have been issued by mistake but I've got it and will not be bothering the authorities until it expires.

Yes it must be as you can get a RP for periods as little as , certainly, 3 months.

Squeaky

Visit site
Proof of accommodation for residence permits

Good morning:

Have a suprise for you, akyaka, as the marina manager stopped me last night to tell me that he had received word that the new regulations concerning residence permits for yachtsmen will allow all personal included on a transit log to be granted a resident permit with the transit log being used a "proof of accommodation".

It takes time but it is nice to learn of new regulations which are sensible and makes life easier for some.

Will look forward to reports when someone has a chance to test these regulations.

Cheers

Squeaky

akyaka

Visit site
That is good news.Hopefully they will be equally sensible about the demonstration of funding arrangements whilst in Turkish waters.

Oh by the way there isn't anybody in your marina offering for sale a second hand 2-2.5 hp outboard is there?

Last edited:

Squeaky

Visit site
Good morning:

OldBawley: Thanks very much for the link which is welcome news.

I have forwarded this link far and wide and many seem to have been glad to get the official news as this visa business has been very confusing with so many different opinions expressed making official news all the more welcome.

Now if you can just come up with some official news about obtaining transit logs on line without an agent I will be a happy bunny.

Cheers

Squeaky