Bliss on the shortest day

G

22 December: if not the shortest day, then among those few days shorter than any others. A Solent harbour. Blue sky all day from about 1100 and sun. Yes, a very cold but light wind and even that sun shone a little warmth. All the other boats illuminated by that sun. Dry. On board. Some routine work on the engines behind closed doors.
Hardly anyone else about. Where are they? Surely not at the dreaded shops? We feed ducks and swans. The scene is rather blissful. The boat is warm inside. Mid-winter on the south coast of England. Yes, the Caribbean would be fun. But this English place is surely a lucky location in this world.

Mfc1955

Visit site
Exactly the same here in sunny Jersey...No swans though...dry, bright morning then into breaking cloud. One of those 'Good to be alive days' unexpected in late December. Went down the Marina and very few people around, which, as a novice, was good for me as I tried to add better secured mooring lines to my boat. Glad to do that unobserved. Cannot wait for the longerst day of June !!!!

chippie

Visit site
Longest day if the year over here, (NZ). Went for a sail on Doubtless Bay and got far too much sun but cooled down with a quiet beer afterwards and home for a late afternoon snooze.

Good on you for making the effort to get down to the boat.
Seasons Greetings.

G

Entirely agreed Deckmaster, I brought our moter cruiser round from Brighton to Port Solant on
12th Dec 3-4 NE which hardly effected sea state. Crossed to Cowes for lunch on Thurs 20th , solent
slight to smooth, and of course nearly all to ourselves, perfect conditions. Sun out cold not a problem
Redocked PM, in deserted marina, cabin heating on to carry out routine maintenance on engines as you say,
not a problem.
I have had some of the best passages at this time of year, high pressure & frost equals slight wind,
cold equals uncluttered waters. Those with boats on land for winter do miss these conditions.
CGN

cneighbour

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Agreed. Had a great lucky-to-be-alive type day out a week ago pubcrawling around the Solent with some mates in glorious sunshine and flat calm seas. Even got a space on Lymington Town Quay!
I never haul the boat out until after Xmas in the hope of sneaking a day or two like this