Bleeding / Priming Eberspacher fuel line

alt

Visit site
I'm about to re-install a D4 for a friend (had a faulty ECU). Obviously now the fuel lines are dry. Is it self-priming? I'm worried that when I start it up, the Eber will realise it's not getting fuel and shut-down.... and I know that these have lock-outs after X failed startups.

The fuel lines aren't long. About 2 ft from the tank to the pump and about 3-4ft from the pump to the unit.

ctva

Visit site
When I replaced our fuel line a few years ago, I don't recall having to prime it and it is around 6-8ft, the pump alone sould suffice to prime it ... I think.

Alpha22

Visit site
If you are not sure, it is a simple task to do it.
Remove the fuel pipe from the rubber connector pipe under the Eber. Take the cable off the pump, get two pieces of wire and connect to 12v and gnd. Hold one wire on one of the pump connections and tap the other on the remaining pump connector. Polarity is irrelevant. Just keep tapping until fuel spurts out of the end of the pipe.
Reconnect the fuel pipe and pump wires and you are good to go.

David2452

Visit site
I either use the software or my little pulser to prime long feeds but yours should be fine, it will try twice and then shut down if the fuel has not reached it, simply switch off and try again and it should go after a maximum of three cycles with that length of fuel feed, I am assuming that the fuel lines are the correct 2mm bore in giving this advice. It is worth remembering that if you have not removed or replaced the lines they will still have fuel in them anyway as the solenoid pump and small bore of the tube will prevent backflow.

alt

Visit site
Thanks for the advise guys. I may self-prime as the contacts are close on the pump and don't want to risk shorting the 12v supply.

David2452 - yes it's the correct OE hose. There is old diesel in the pipes, but it's over 5 years old (owner has reported eperspacher never worked since he bought the boat) so i'm making sure it's fresh stuff that goes in there

Floating Preferably

Visit site
IMHO while you are at it if the system has not been used for yonks it has to be worth digging out the horrible little filter on the tank side of the pump entry, then either reverse blast it with a WD40 squirter to remove any crud or fit a new one.

alt

Visit site
FYI I tried it without bleeding... fired up after a few mins no problem... all working again, the owner will be delighted.