Blakes Titan Antifoul - Good Stuff

Chris_Robb

Visit site
For years I have had problems with my choice of antifouling, XM 3000 acted as a garden manure, Blakes Seatech was even worse, but at long last I have found one that works.

Launched end Feb 2001, and haul out yesterday, with NO interim scrub, the only fouling was slime, in patches. I've really had my moneys worth here.

Propellor: This had a few barnacles and thats all - (24 inch 3 blader). This was burnished last winter and treated with hot vasaline. No weed at all! I think the secret thugh is to get a very smooth surface before you apply the vasaline.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Chris_Robb on Mon Feb 4 08:59:26 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

AndrewB

Visit site
Antifoul? Who needs antifoul?

My yacht has now been nearly 3 years since last antifouled, in the water all the time. Still no more than slight sliming round the waterline that we can easily brush off.

We too used Titan. But I think its more down to the shoal of mullet in our marina that graze on the slime. They have really multiplied in recent years. Back in the old TBT days they wouldn't have come near, but these modern weak antifoulings do not seem to trouble them.

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site
Chris
Thanks for the tip, I used XM C2000 tried it for the first time to see if I was wasting my money on Internal Micron. Conclusion its not so effective with the weed, about the same for barnicles, but I wonder if the weed and slime kept the barnicles off. I think as I'm on a mooring I require a better antifoul at least on the keels which attract barnicles like ....

Another hot prop suggestion have you tried lanoline this was suggested to me as an excellent coating for the prop, but yet to try it. I swear by polishing the prop rather than using any antifoul on it which must soon become ineffective anyway.

PS The polish I use is Brasso wadding by Duraglit.

All the best
Trevor.

Julian

Visit site
I have had very poor results with both Blakes Tiger and Titan. I am at Hythe (Southampton Water) on a half tide mooring over very soft mud / silt. I think the mud settles on the hull between the keels. This then inhibits the antifouling resulting in a complete covering of barnacles which then supports weed growth This happens after only a few months, launching in April. Away from the keels there is no problem. Does anyone know of a solution to this problem; even the cockpit drains block themselves with silt deposit every few weeks in the summer and need to be hosed clean.