blakes seacock serviceable? and where to find backing plates & bolts

D

Deleted member 36384

Blake’s parts can be bought from from :-

Blakes Seacocks

Backing pads are usually custom made for the curve of the hull. Mine are made from plywood, still in good condition, so ply as a material choice is satisfactory, in my case, at least 20 years old, maybe original at +40 years old. The bronze or DZR of the seacock will last an age and more.

I would not fit the strainer plates on the outside of the hull. Over the years mine have become blocked and it was a significant hassle to clean out behind the grill.

Grinding paste, fine and medium grit, can be purchased online. Lapping the cones into the valve body can be a chore, I successfully used a small valve lapping suction cup tool to rotate the cones. Expect a slight pinky appearance of the metal. I ground until most of the cone was smooth. Mine were heavily pitted, so I did not grind out all the pits. Still working well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Topcat47

Visit site
Classic Marine are a good source for parts. My Blakes have BSF nuts and bolts (Rocking-horse shit comes to mind) so check the threads carefully before ordering.

Tranona

Visit site
The green will only come back again. It is only on the surface but i think you will find it comes off if you wash with bleachy water.

D

Deleted member 36384

Any suggestions to the best way of removing the green on the surface? Anything I shouldnt do or can I just dive in there with a wire brush?

I wire brush mine, about every two years it comes back on some of the seacocks but not all of them. Follow up with a vacuum to suck up the dust. Just did it about 2 months ago when I had an opportunity to visit the boat.

The one nearest the anode, but not connected to the anode, was very furry, on the internal flange and level with where the base of the cone would sit. A near perfect circle right round the fitting. From the base of the cone upwards, nothing, I would like to know what causes such a demarcation but I am not worried about it as the verdigris is harmless, I understand.