Blakes Ocean Performer anti foul

Gin

Visit site
I'm going to try this anti foul paint this year and I may need 2 x 2.5 litres which at £99.95rrp is extravagant.

Blakes tell me that it has a considerably longer shelf life than stated on the tin so does any forumite know of any dust covered stocks anywhere at a better price than I've been able to find so far(£75 per tin)?

roberth

Visit site
Sorry, this is not exactly answering your question, but what about Cruising Performer?
I've used it for three years now, and have been very satisfied with the results - at about half the best price you have found for Ocean ( and it would be fresh).
Admittedly, my boat's not kept in brown water - but worth a try?

pvb

Visit site
It's intriguing that you're prepared to pay 30 quid a litre for antifouling, but are equally prepared to buy out-of-date stuff to save a few quid. Hope you don't end up in a year's time as one of the moaners about poor antifouling performance!

samwise

kalessin-of-orwell.blogspot.com
At £99 it's still cheaper than International Optima! I've used Ocean Performer on our Westerly Storm to good effect. It worked extremely well both on the UK East Coast and on our subsequent trip down and into the Med. If you haven't used it before, it's a two pack, water soluble so yes you clean brushes and rollers easily but if it rains while you are applying outside, you have a problem. It also means that you can't do the quick pre-launch fill in around where the cradle pads were because it just washes off in the water. I like Performer because it cleans down easily and leaves a good surface for the new antifoul without creating a build up of material that will eventually have to be scraped off. Re price, there may be some deals to be had on line , try Seamark Nunn for example, but the savings may well be swallowed up by postage.

Johnjo

Visit site
Is it as soft as the Optima ? If it is i might give it a try as the Optima i have being using is superb, I cannot fault its performance, but also very expensive...

G

[ QUOTE ]
Is it as soft as the Optima ? If it is i might give it a try as the Optima i have being using is superb, I cannot fault its performance, but also very expensive...

[/ QUOTE ]
No, it's much harder. It's much better to pay a bit extra for the Optima. I switched to Ocean Performer one season and it didn't perform nearly as well - and it was much harder to sand downt han Optima. I switched back again ever since.

S

Skyva_2

I vote for Ocean Performer's effect over 2 years in SW England, cheapest I have found is £80 for 2.5l. As above, you have to get the chocks or cradle moved to complete the job before launch.

Leighb

Visit site
IMHO Seajet Shogun is better than either Blakes Ocean performer or Optima . It is a lot cheaper than either
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

However every area is a bit different, and even moving half a mile on the same river has a significant effect. Hence my change from Optima to Seajet.

jwilson

Visit site
After one year with Ocean Performer and one year with Shogun 033 I think the Shogun was marginally better, plus a lot cheaper. SW England, clean water and high fouling area. I've always been a Blakes fan but now converted to Shogun.

pvb

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
....even moving half a mile on the same river has a significant effect.

[/ QUOTE ]I'm struggling to believe this; mightn't it have more to do with the way the different antifouls were applied?

Goldie

Visit site
Mike, if Seajet Shogun 'floats yer boat', then you're in the right place for a good deal! Trago Mills' sale days (January on Tues, Thurs, Sun) bring the price of Shogun down to £45.98/2.5 litres.

Gin

Visit site
Thank you for your helpful input and others below also. I've been quite pleased with Cruising Performer but would like to reduce the barnacle farm on the keel, even though I scrub off twice a season(high pollution, very muddy,shallow water mooring area) . Hence the Ocean Performer idea( Blakes themselves suggested the tactic of sourcing 'past sell by date' product).

If that doesn't improve things then I shall consider the Optima/Shogun alternatives thereafter- it's all an interesting learning curve isn't it?

Leighb

Visit site
Don't know the exact reason, BUT, the first year I moved I used Optima which I had found effective for 4 or 5 seasons. The fouling was terrible, great clumps of nasty pink stuff and barnacle problems.

So after some investigation I decided to try Shogun, been very good ever since.

Could just have been an unlucky year but I remain a Shogun fan as it is so much cheaper.