Bl**dy Fishermen! **Rant**

jaws

Visit site
Was coming through Teddington Lock cut on Saturday afternoon and what a lovely site to see about 5 fishermen spread out taking up the last available space on the visitor mooring with their lines out half way across the cut. Some of them looked set in for the night with tents up!!
This really is one of my pet hates because there is plenty of river bank for them to use. Luckily I was going through the lock, but it would have been very uncomfortable for whoever had to ask them to move in order to moor up.
To my mind there should be large signs up saying No Fishing and a large fine if you do!

byron

RIP
Visit site
If they are dedicated moorings then you have the right to moor. If however it is bank for anyone to use for whatever. Then they have the same rights as you, first come first served.

jaws

Visit site
Agree. You'd think bollards, a concrete bank, and other boats might be a clue for them that it's dedicated mooring.

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Agree. You'd think bollards, a concrete bank, and other boats might be a clue for them that it's dedicated mooring.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you could wait for a few weeks and maybe a patrol boat would saunter past and you could ask it to move them on /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

alistairedw

Visit site
There appeared to be more sleeping going on than fishing. I don't think they are that bothered about catching fish. It is just a way of avoiding their wives.

I noticed that a couple of them had horrific sunburn. Presumably they forgot to apply some sunscreen before entering the 'Stella Artois zone'.

We get a lot of fishermen on the bank by the Ham House car park. They get very upset when sailing dinghies dare to sail past them. There are miles of riverbank available where there is no dinghy racing going on but they are too lazy to walk a couple of hundred yards away from the car park.

They get quite upset when they realise their line has snagged on my rudder.

teddington_lock

Visit site
There were some last year in Manor Road rec ...

Set up loads of expensive gear , tents , and then proceeded to play football , drink beer , smoke weed ( i was watching through the bins ) .....

Made loads of noise late into the night , then retired to their tents , however , at about 5am a huge tide came in ( i knew it was coming , they didn't ) ....

The rods dissappeared under the water , along with the expensive bite alarms , and then poured into the tents ....

Cue lots of noise and shouting as 4 very stoned / hungover fishermen realised that all of their gear was ruined , and the water was now flooding threir sleeping bags / tents ....

Cue lots of giggling in the lock office , as i relaxed with my tea and watched the spectacle unfold. Cheered me up no end ...

No Regrets

Visit site
Pull alongside them at around 5mph, and perform a full-reverse-thrust stop.

Repeat at 10 minute intervals until berth becomes vacant.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Alternatively, glide past quietly, and very closely, and watch the fishing gear follow your vessel upstream..... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Any other problems Gentlemen? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

No Regrets

Visit site
It's an irony thing....

'Hoisted on his own petard' would be the irony of seeing a hangman hung on his own gear....

The irony of watching the ignorance and bad behaviour of the fishermen become their own downfall was similar to being hoisted on their own petard...

Or something along those lines... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

rr_123

Visit site
I think "petard" can also mean a kind of bomb, so being hoist by one's own petard can mean blowing yourself up.

Same thing really, just a different slant for the benefit of the Thames Forumites (c: either way it means a bit of an own goal!

oldgit

Visit site
When ye anceint sappers were digging a tunnel under an earth work or castle wall in order to place munitions under whatever they wanted out of the way ,a very long fuse was placed in order for the miners to make their escape,sometimes the fuse was a tad short with the result that the miners also suffered from the resulting bang.
Our castle at Rochester has 3 square towers and 1 round tower as a result of some siege or other when a tower was mined in order to gain access.

BG1

Visit site
Was hoping we might hear the official line on this from Teddington_Lock. Is fishing allowed in lock cuts or on EA moorings. Perhaps a sign is required.

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
I think there are signs on there already stating no fishing.

Given the current climate and given the location as well as seeing the type who fish there I dont fancy telling someone to move on!

Brayman

Visit site
That's a major problem We got some fisherlads to move last year at Pangbourne, came back to the boat later in the evening to find it covered in ground bait.
Horrible sticky stuff to remove too.

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think there are signs on there already stating no fishing.

Given the current climate and given the location as well as seeing the type who fish there I dont fancy telling someone to move on!

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't IPC issue Stab Vests?