binoculars

richardm

Visit site
I' ve been using a pair of Hanimex 7X50 binoculars for about 25 years. The onset of an extended cruise into the Kimberley region and a milestone birthday gives me the opportunity and excuse to hit the family with a request for a new pair. Feedback on magnification, brands, models and features to look for would be appreciated

G

A few years ago I was given a pair of Steiner Commander binocs for a milestone birthday. They are 7x50 and quite frankly are excellant. They would get my vote.

Pete

gtmoore

Visit site
I have a pair of Helios 7x50 Weathermasters. Nitrogen filled and rubber coated, the optics are excellent. Too good for the boat actually so I use them for astronomy.

Helios also do an OceanMaster version which is more heavily armoured and a version is available with a built in compass.

The Weathermasters cost around £150 and details can be found at
http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/bin.html

Cheers

Gavin

Geoffs

Visit site
At the risk of mentioning Compass again, I bought a pair of their £99 ones at LBS. Seem quite good, 7X50, bight sharp image, comfortable -to my eyes -, and easy to read bearing compass.

Mind you only had 'em couple of weeks, not been to sea with 'em yet.

pvb

Visit site
Steiners

Steiners have a superb worldwide reputation for quality and durability. They're totally waterproof, their optics are truly excellent, and the constant focus feature is very useful. The Commander-style models have a very short front-to-back dimension, making them easier to handle. They're also rubber-armoured and very shock-proof - I've dropped my old Steiner Commanders several times on to hard surfaces without damage. Over about 20 years, I've only had one problem with them (a bubble in the compass) which was fixed promptly and without quibble under the 30-year guarantee. I think most Steiners are only available in 7x50, but that's the ideal for sailing anyway.

On the downside, Steiners are costly. But they are effectively military-spec equipment, and they'll last you a lifetime. The current version of the Commander is the Mk V, but there are lots of the previous Mk III versions around at a worthwhile saving and offering almost identical performance.

Bet your family would be proud for you to have a pair!

Goldie

Visit site
I've had a pair of Fujinon 7x50s for the last 10 years or so. FMTRC I think the model code was. Excellent. If the family budget will run to it, I would recommend the 45mm compass rather than the 30mm version, if indeed you want the compass. Tried the Steiner and found them excellent, but went for the Fujinon because I found them more comfortable to use, particularly with glasses. I use binoculars on a daily basis at work and have tried loads of different pairs, and like boats they're a personal thing. As a starting point though, go for a pair of nitrogen filled 7x50s. Happy birthday!

Marty

Visit site
Look at the compass £99 Binocom 7 x 50 binoculars I have had a set for 4 months and I am very pleased. They also carry a 20 year guarantee.

milltech

www.iTalkFM.com
Re: Steiners

Couldn't agree more, and if they get old and grubby a modest fee spent at the factory will have them back looking 100% new. Of course if it's too much there are some grubby merchants out there, (including me), who will be happy to sell some really excellent products that are all you need..but they can never give you the pride of ownership that you can get from the Worlds Best.

I'm still saving for the Red Label Bentley Arnage.

Boat Junkie

gus

www.whysuffer.co.uk
I have an old pair of Ziess 10x50 and have yet to find anything that can match them. So it might be worth looking to pick up a pair second-hand 'cause the new ones are a bit expensive. Only problem is that anyone who has a pair would probably not wish to part with them.

G

I have just bought a pair of Fujinon 14 X 40 Stabalised they are the nuts for night work at sea. The stabilisation is superb for picking out lights and angle of approaching ships.

Regards

Paul Howard

davidhand

Visit site
Yes I was out with a bloke who had a pair of Canon stabilized binoculars a week or two back: unbelievable. I bet the Fujinon are just as good if not better, you can of course have 10 or 12 power without the shakes. I'll put these at the top of my list next time I am shopping for binoculars.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
20x80?

On our boat we have two set 7x50the other a Russian 20x 80 I know people say that they will not be stable ,but in all honesty don`t seem to have a big problem ,and if beach watching ,you can see nipples like Scamell wheel nuts .
So bigger is better, just a thought ! cheers bob t

Bob T

graham

Visit site
Re: What? Hexagonal nipples??

Anyone had any success with the self focusing ones?I had a pair supplied at work(Japanese,cant remember the brand) They were amazing at first but now never perfectly focussed so now we use an acient pair of 7x50s.