bin done

martin

Visit site
bin done

Had one engine fail/replaced under warranty (Mercruiser/Sowester Simpson Lawrence) this summer. Claim for transport of boat back to thames was agreed as part of settlement. Submitted bills and was told claim would be paid shortly. Then recievership happened. Despite repeated statements from SSL staff throuhout receivership that my warranty claim with Merc/SSL would be honoured and cheque was in process...they closed the doors and went home. Anyone got any ideas as to what to do next?

Piers

www.playdeau.com
Re: bin done

Yep, just as Byron has said, you unfortunately take your place in the long queue of creditors, hope you have a provable case, and at best hope for a few pennies in the pound pay out.

The pay out (if any) will depend on two main factors - How strongly money owing to Sowester is successfully chased, and the how collossal the liquidator's fees will be.

Sorry to be the bearer of unencouraging news...but it's happened to more than one of us.

As a side comment, companies often go belly up only because they didn't scream early enough for recovery to be made - Pride?

I hasten to add I don't know the ins and outs of this case, though. The final report (typcally in two years time.....) will make interesting reading.

Piers du Pre
MBM Cruising Club enthusiast

G

Try the manufacturers of the boat, I presume sealine?, surely they dont want any bad blood from this, I should think they need as much reassurance as anyone at their level in the marine trade at the moment, as I think things will get a lot worse later, before they recover.

Paul js

jfm

Visit site
Re: dont give up yet..

You may be ok. You said your dealings were with Simpson Lawrence...did you buy the engine directly from them? If yes then pursue your claim with Mercury, there is much in their paperwork that suggests they offer a manufacturer's warranty, not a dealer warranty.

Alternatively if you bought a new boat with these engines in it, pursue the boat manufacturer as others have said

martin

Visit site
Re: dont give up yet..

Thanks for the advice guys..I will try going through to Mercury I think. Ultimately, its must be there problem. The engine that went was brand new, only just had its 20 hr service. Apparently, I heard this weekend that they found fuel (Diesel) in the oil and so have sent it back to Belgium !.

Luckily its only a "relatively" small amount compared with the cost of the new engine/labour. I would have been a bit miffed if I had been left holding the can on that figure.

martin

Visit site

Yes...I remember the original post. Sealine tried that with me when I bought the F33...I think at the time I gave them the money in installments but held some back to encourage good response to fixin probs once boat delivered...didn't get me anywhere though..still crap service...If I ever bought a new boat again don't think I would be that trusting.

G

What boat is causing these probs at the moment?, just wan't to know so we dont all go out and buy one next time.

Paul js

G

E P Barrus have taken over as the UK Mercruiser agents and have said that they will honouring manufacturer's warranty (one year), but probably not Sowester Simpson-Lawrence's three-year warranty. You might try Barrus and see if they'll pick up the tab for getting your boat back to you. Nothing ventured, and all that. Tel: (01869) 363636.