Bilge water problem

G

I have a bilge water problem in that the bilge keel on my Broom 37 Crown keeps suffering from excessive
water ingress. Until recently I thought it was coming from the domestic water supply via a leaking pipe
as it fills up when I leave the boat for a week having emptied it before leaving the boat.
The last time however I tested the water before pumping out and it was salty i.e. seawater not
tap water. In a week it gains about 14-16 litres. Any suggestions as to the source?
signed C.Neighbour

cneighbour

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Have a look at your stern glands, do they need tightening or repacking? If not that then check seacocks for leaks, if nothing then obvious, panic!!! you have a hole somewhere and are slowly sinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

The stern gland packings are 6 months old and are tightened as necessary, in any case
both the stern glands and the sea cocks are aft of the bilge keel and drain into the
small aft bilge which has auto pump, and is seperate from the bilge keel. I can only imagine that
its coming from one of the forward sea openings i.e. front head (currently turned off and diverted to
holding tank) or sink outlets ? Any more suggestions ? CN

cneighbour

G

Sounds like a weepy bilge keel stud/studs.

Only way to sort I think is to spend a morning on the boat over Xmas.

Get all the floorboards etc up, dry off everywhere with perhaps a fan dryer . Then sprinkle talcum powder all over the place and tie it down.

Best of luck

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I think all you can do is check the skin fittings - I had one leak on my boat a few years ago, maybe not fitted properly in the first place or perhaps corrosion has set in. Worth also checking the wiring to the anodes

G

LJS anodes were replaced in May this year (same time as stern glands they are fine) sorry
but do not know what "skin fittings" are Can you elaborate ? CN

cneighbour

G

I would check for leak's at deck level ,it's surprising how far a leak will travel.
Yes bet you already did that well do it again but try it with loo roll any water present will show on that just wrap a few layers and run it along surfaces.
Skin fittings are the favourite in my book though ,again use the loo roll it always works and beats eye sight every time.
Mick

G

I would suggest drying up the bilge and then sprinkle Ajax or whatever the cleaner powder si called that turns blue when it gets damp / wet ..... around all fittings and bolt heads etc. Then sit back and have a cup of tea. Take a look every so often until you see tell-tale signs of blue in the powder ......

You say that the water is salty, not fresh - that indicates below waterline, you also do not mention finding water anywhere above the bilges .... so again that indicates below waterline.... BUT it is not unknown for salt on deck, washed down by condensation etc. / rain etc. via a leaking window / above w/line fitting, running down behind interior panels to the bilge area ....... So you dont need great heaps of powder, that is why I advocate the white turns to blue variety .... it only needs a sprinkling and make sure you sprinkle around and 'up the sides' ..... then you will find if it 'fills UP, or runs DOWN' the bilge !!!!

Good luck .... it can be an absolute bugger to find some leaks !!!

G

A very sound idea NL I shall try it as soon as I can regards CN

cneighbour

david_bagshaw

Visit site
Have you checked for leaks from the toilet ? or holding tank

Another one is from Engine seawater pump seals if under the water line

otherwise is it possible for wash from passing boats to wash water back through an incorrectly fitted bilge pump.

The amount of leak suggest a teaspoon per 5 mins, which should be easily findable, if it is of the slow seaping type using the methods suggested.

A last thought , when did it start, after a voyage or incident, as this might give a clue where to start looking.

All the best

David
www.yachtman.co.uk

tomg

Visit site
If all else fails, the next time you haul the boat out, fill the bilge with water with a few crystals of permanganate of potash ( chemist) and look for the pink/red leaks on the outside of the hull.

G

I did forget to say that after finding the leak with Ajax etc. .... make sure you wash it out well after, as it is slightly corrosive if left unatended ...... but believe me we are talking only mild, but still best to wipe and rinse away.

Good luck

G

One unusual case I came across was that in the Anchor locker. The pipe had come off the small anchor locker drain and consequently any wash or wave action on that side resulted in a small amount of water coming in.

PeterGibbs

Visit site
If you had this much water coming in through a stern gland one would say, OK we'll fix it when it's covneient. This much coming past the keel bolts is NOT a put-off job, in my view. Water ingress into the lower hull and / or sub frame could seriously compromise the boat. If the keel bolts are weakening then it's time to drop the keel and have a look: not such a huge issue as some mags make out. But if the leakage is casued by having taken the ground or one larger impact (usually visible in the keel surface), the situation could be worse - there is postential for slight movement leading to severe damage and water ingress into the hull.

But take a bright view: it may be that just reseating the keel is enough - which is a
job that should not eat too much of your spring preparation time.

PWG

G

Hi PG My other posts state that the stern glands and sea cocks drain into seperate aft bilge
so no problem there. When you mention keel bolts I not sure what you mean. I assume they are on
sailing boats with retractable keels ? Mine is a twin screw 10 ton motor cruiser semi displacement with large
solid keel as part of the hull. Its got to be skin fittings such as paddle wheel, transducer, sink outlets etc, I
imagine.

cneighbour

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Almosy certainly not sink outlets, they should be above the waterline.

Hope you find the problem, let us know what it was.

Happy Christmas.

G

Quite right LJS water finds its own level silly me, I mean shower outlet in forward head
(arf one leads to rear bilge). By the way my last reply to PGibbs regarding "keel bolts" can you respond
LJS ? Regards CGN

cneighbour

G

Hi Db, it does not have what you describe, I know cos I antifouled her in May, its a full
length keel integral to the hull, round bilge. The boat is a semi displacement Broom 37 Crown
CGN

cneighbour