Bilge Pump

broadbent

Visit site
Took your advice and started with the bilge pump, which works (switched on the over-ride switch), but the float switch has packed up. The pump is a Rule 1000 and the float switch is also Rule Superswitch.

The wiring is difficult to follow but seems to use the same plastic corrugated sleeve as the wiring to the pump.

The wiring is sealed to the unit, so is there a nice way of replacing the switch?

Thanks

Scubadoo

Visit site
I had a similar problem with my Rule1500, the float failed but the pump was okay. It was traced to a faulty wire not the float switch. Basically the wiring to the switch was in a prime location to be stood on when in the engine bay.

Maybe worth checking before you condem the float.

RM.

BarryH

Visit site
If the float switch is part of the pump body (is the body round or square) take it out and throw it away. I had the same thing, cost of them aint worth worring about really. You wont use the pump that often, unless you leave the boat on a mooring with a leaky cover, but when you need it its gotta work, might also be worth considering installing a manual man powered one too.

Regards BarryH

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Just be carefull. We had a float switch blow up on us last year. We were just playing with it, trying to get it to work when. BANG. The whole boat rattled. We had to sit down for half an hour to recover. The thick lumps of plastic shrapnel spread round the bilge was frightening. Good job they didn't hit anyone.

Haydn

coliholic

Visit site
You broke SOMETHING ELSE last year and didn't tell us?

What did you think that after breaking the gearbox, filling the diesel with water, broke the autohelm repeater, broke the turbo, that we'd think you shouldn't be let loose on anything more technological than a candle? And I think I missed another couple at least here.

So kept the exploding bilge pump quiet eh?

Anything else you want to tell us about Haydn? Go on get it off your chest, you know it makes sense to unburdden yourself to us all.

BarryH

Visit site
Fairly easy to replace then, they are sold seperatly, by coincidence Chas Newans at putney stock them or you could go to the YBW store for less of the hassel factor. Would still think about putting the manual one in as well. Leccy one tend to burn themselves out if they run dry for to long. If its a seperate float switch, when you replace make sure all connections are watertight, I use self amalgamating tape the coat them in the stuff you cat buy in tins for the cut ends of ropes. Easy to put on, hard as S%*t to get off.

Regards BarryH

coliholic

Visit site
Memory Haydn?

Nah

I've got a very detailed cross indexed database system that files away everyone's posts so that they're easily retrievable under a wide selection of search criteria. Just to make sure that no-ones telling porkies. It can tell me all manner of info such as who owns what boat, where they're based, how many posts they've made and what about and from that info can carry out a probable analysis of how many hours they use their boats, how much they spend on the boat each year and in some cases who they're having an affair with.

Now everyone's worried.

Or maybe you were right first time? Or maybe......

coliholic

Visit site
Re: Fred Drift\'s Bilge Pump

Err barry, you've not recently bought a secondhand computer off Haydn have you? Or inherited his cat? Or won a bottle of Balvennie? 'Cos your posts just aren't in English anymore.

So could you just run that one by me again.

< I use self amalgamating tape the coat them in the stuff you cat buy in tins for the cut ends of ropes>

'Cos it sounds as if it could be interesting. What's this about stuff you coat the end of the ropes or cat with then?

BarryH

Visit site

Soory just praktising filing in mi tacks retern, I donte wont to maik it too ezzi fore them to disifour. Becoz if they haiv anee problumz, i just pleeed egnurnse.

Ezzi wen ewe noe hawe.

BaireeH

coliholic

Visit site

As a loyal employee of HMIT I take great exception to the deliberate obfuscation of your tax return. we therefore request that you send us a blank cheque and we'll fill in what we think you owe us.

Sound familiar.

Oops a bit more FD there. What are you on about, stuff that you put on the ends of cut ropes? Please explain 'cos I might be on the verge of learning something new here. .

BarryH

Visit site

Yer know that plastic coating stuff thats advertised in Nauticalia type supplements that one finds in the Boating periodicals, Totally useless rubbish really, but seals leccy stuff atreat, Chemical Whipping i think its called...... Na, praps thats PaulineB's territory.

Regards BarryH

tcm

Visit site
Re: Exploding Float Switch

Well, I'll go for it. Anybody else wd make a big deal of a switch that blew into smithereens, not Haydn, and nobody seems to be too fussed either- "oh yes exploding float switch problem".

How the hell did it happen?

I reckon Tut nips in with some semtex every time while he's looking for a screwdriver.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re: Exploding Float Switch

Apparently there filled with mercury. Well this one was cos it was splattered all over the place. A very comon make, Rule I think. It was working intermitently. I'd taken a youngster (27) down from work to service the boat. He was moving the float up and on the hinge, when there was a deafening BANG. It frightend him to death, and he plays with Style saws, chain saws, and angle grinders for fun. Honestly it could have blown his hand off. Luckily all the pieces missed.

Haydn