Bilge pump warranty

Ross D

Visit site
Has anyone managed to claim or know how to go about claiming for a replacement Rule pump under their 3 year warranty?

I fitted a Rule RM500 in June 2012, and just fitted a replacement this week after it failed with a direct short internally. The new pumps packaging (same model to click straight onto the strainer basket glued into the bilge) had "3 year warranty" on it but no details on how to make a claim.

As it is over 12 months old I can't go back to the original seller (an Ebay shop) and claim under the sale of goods act (I think).

A quick google shows hundreds of companies selling their products but I'm unable to find the contact details for Rule themselves.

Many thanks

Ross

lw395

Visit site
Rule were part of ITT, the pump arm is now called Xylem.
Google rule xylem to get their contacts.

Ross D

Visit site
Just had a reply from Xylem basically saying go back to the person you bought it from, it's not our problem. I have contacted the Ebay seller without reply yet.

My understanding of the sale of goods act is that your statutory rights enable you to go back to the vendor within 12 months if it is not fit for purpose. However, in this case the 3 year warranty is provided by Rule/Xylem and therefore they should be issuing the replacement?

I addition Xylem/Rule are vicariously liable for the correct functioning if their equipment. The original seller sold the items in good faith without opening the packaging and therefore can pass on the liability directly to Xylem.

Any one know this for a fact, I studied a bit of law when I was an Engineering student and to be honest it's all a little hazy.

Ross

jon711

Visit site
Unusual to get that response from them. Jabsco bought Rule when Jabsco were ITT and then both became Xylem. Have you contacted the product at manager at Jabsco in Hoddesdon for comments?? When I worked at Jabsco, assuming normal use, we would have replaced it with out quibble (Unless the law has changed, they only need to replace the failed item under warranty, not give financial refund)

Try Jabsco on 01992 450145 and ask for the Marine Products manager for pumps.

Jon