beyond kevlar and dyneema...

rob2

Visit site
Yes, but apart from the ergonomics problems mentioned, who can afford a dyneema halyard let alone the next generation prices?

Rob.

Last edited:

Monique

Visit site
Yes indeed... but imagine having to change all the clutches and having to use a pair of tweezers to unlock them.. :)

I need 2 halyards prior to next season... (dyneema) looking at lots of moolah...:(

Seajet

Visit site
The 'ergonomic difficulties' are not to be underestimated.

Years ago a chum with more money than sense invited me to crew his state of the art, money no object International 14 dinghy.

I'd sailed, indeed owned earlier versions, but this one caught me; the trendy weight & windage saving jib & chute sheets were so thin, and so heavily loaded, it was near impossible - and very painful - to sail without leather gloves...

saltwater_gypsy

www.saltwatergypsy.com
What you have to do is find your relevant place in the hi-tech ladder.Sure , new materials to rival Spectra and Dyneema are interesting BUT are they relevant to you. I have Spectra spinnaker sheets because their lack of strtch is excellent but thats it. Maybe if a halyard needs replaces I would consider Dyneema but again, thats it.
Unless you are at the cuttingb edge of racing , most of this stuff is irrelevant.
(PS I said the same thing about stainless steel rigging sixty years ago!!)