Beware!! Please manually inflate your lifejacket to check....

Stooriefit

Visit site
I check my lifejackets every couple of months to ensure the gas canister is still tight, no expiry dates have gone past, stiching etc ok. However that is NOT enough - you need to manually inflate them as well and here from my experience is why.

I have a 150 Crewsaver crewfit with Hammer auto fit. At the end of each season I inflated this at home along with my other lifejackets. This one deflated as it had a leak coming from the Hammer device itself- even although the device was showing green and was well within its replacement date. I contacted Hammer who referred me to Cosalt (makers of Crewsaver). Cosalt suggested taking the device off and refitting. This didn't cure the problem so I took it into Cosalt who replaced the Hammer device free of charge and that I thought was the problem cured. Four months later here am I inflating the lifejackets as part of my fitting out and guess what? - the same lifejacket is again leaking from the new Hammer device. I'm just about to contact Cosalt to see what they say.

However the important lesson for me (and for everyone else) is that I would not have been aware of this if I had not actually inflated the lifejacket. So you have been warned...

rivonia

Visit site
I check my lifejackets every couple of months to ensure the gas canister is still tight, no expiry dates have gone past, stiching etc ok. However that is NOT enough - you need to manually inflate them as well and here from my experience is why.

I have a 150 Crewsaver crewfit with Hammer auto fit. At the end of each season I inflated this at home along with my other lifejackets. This one deflated as it had a leak coming from the Hammer device itself- even although the device was showing green and was well within its replacement date. I contacted Hammer who referred me to Cosalt (makers of Crewsaver). Cosalt suggested taking the device off and refitting. This didn't cure the problem so I took it into Cosalt who replaced the Hammer device free of charge and that I thought was the problem cured. Four months later here am I inflating the lifejackets as part of my fitting out and guess what? - the same lifejacket is again leaking from the new Hammer device. I'm just about to contact Cosalt to see what they say.

However the important lesson for me (and for everyone else) is that I would not have been aware of this if I had not actually inflated the lifejacket. So you have been warned...

Hmm it will be interesting to see what they say in reply. Thanks for the advice!

sailorman

Visit site

how do you inflate them

Stooriefit

Visit site
how do you inflate them

Use the top up tube and just blow into it until you can't get anymore air in. Leave for at least 24 hrs - my one deflated in 10mins! You can deflate using the oral top up tube - put a ball point pen in the end to hold the non-return valve down and squeeze out the air.

Tony Cross

Visit site
We have six on board and I only test them once a year (in the winter). I blow them all up manually (or should that be mouthually?) and I'm feeling pretty light-headed by the time I'm done. I feel like a lie-down just talking about it..... :rolleyes:

Bilgediver

Visit site
We have six on board and I only test them once a year (in the winter). I blow them all up manually (or should that be mouthually?) and I'm feeling pretty light-headed by the time I'm done. I feel like a lie-down just talking about it..... :rolleyes:

As you get older you'll appreciate a little help from an electric pump sold in Tesco for paddling pools and airbeds.

prv

Visit site
You can deflate using the oral top up tube - put a ball point pen in the end to hold the non-return valve down and squeeze out the air.

The attached cap should be able to perform the same function. You may well need to partially deflate to be able to swim or climb during a rescue.

Pete

Leif-J

Visit site
Not always sufficient to blow them up to check.
I had to dispose of two elderly ones (LJ that is) because the small sharp pin supposed to puncture the CO2 cylinder was gone (corrosion?).
I have put the inspection off for far too long - this will be a semi annually procedure from now on.

prv

Visit site
The first time I put it on the gas cylinder fell out and onto my big toe. Make sure you screw it in tight!

!!

For the last few years, Hammar ones have come glued into part of the inflator unit. Partially unscrewed cylinders were a big cause of failure, so this seems like a sensible way of eliminating it.

Pete

davidwf

Visit site
There is a safety briefing from Hammer see http://www.cmhammar.com/news/archive/safety-alert

Now back in 2005 and 2006 I had two bladders replaced on two crewfit life jackets because they both leaked around the hammer fitting when they were rearmed. I went to replace hammer units this week inflated them to see if they were ok before changing units, both inflated very slowly and not fully. Bit strange but perhaps the cold weather has something to do with it. Topped both up manually and the 2005 bladder leaked the 2006 did not. So in light of the safety briefing I have scrapped the leaky one as no way I am paying for another bladder.

Personally I dislike the Hammer units brought about by have to replace bladders in 2005 /6 I normally wear a spinlock deckvest with a United Mouldings device. I think they are far less likely to leak around the mechanism as the bladder to device seal is not affected when rearming.

twinkeel

Visit site
Lat week used the airbed pump to inflate two crewsaver Hammar LJs.
Mine deflated slowly but SWMBO's was fine.
She was worried and said, "what am I going to do if your's doesn't work ??
Comforted by that I went out and bought a new Spinlock deckvest.
Left my Crewsaver ( 5 years old ) with the chandler for it to be checked and repaired if that makes sense so do not know what the fault was.
Just wanted to endorse the need to check these things out on a regular basis.

John_Clarke

Visit site
I have stopped buy lifejackets with Hammar inflators after problems of leaking between the replacement Hammar device and the bladder on a number of lifejackets. In most cases it has been a matter of refitting the Hammar device so that a tight seal is formed. On some lifejackets I found it quite difficult to get a good seal (best results if I dished the bladder at the seal while turning the locking ring - a bit tricky!) On two lifejackets I could not get a good seal so they have gone into the bin (they were over 12 years old).