Better to be too hot or too cold.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Some years ago I posed this very question. In those days the forum had some doctors active on the forum. Their opinion was that both were deadly in extremes. However, the rest of us thought that it was better to be too cold because extra clothes could be added and even a hot coffee would help. There was a limit to what can be done in extreme hot weather. Once naked that's it, nowhere else to go.

I would suspect that even doctors these days of climate change would agree that there are more options to combat cold than heat. Right now I am freezing my butt off in Sweden and having second thoughts about this. Freezing cold is downright painfull. Being too hot one just sinks into a painless coma. Sailing in 2022 this year was difficult when the deck was too hot to walk on.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
As I get older, my choice has changed. With peripheral blood supply getting more restricted particularly in toes, being too cold can be quite painful so these days, I prefer to be too hot.
Plus one with peripheral blood supply. This counteracts the effect of extra socks and makes them useless.

From my experience in 2022 where the Mediterranean heat really needed careful attention I fell very short and fell into difficulties because I did not drink enough. I knew I needed to drink a lot but safe water supply was often only available from water bottles bought in town. They are heavy to carry so I drank less than I should have.

I must solve this problem for 2023. First stop will be the shop that sells water filters and water purification system. This will be my priority for 2023. I can then feel safe loading water direct to the boat tanks. I have avoided water makers as too complicated but may be I should have another look.

Yes, too hot is the way to go if sufficient preparation for unlimited water supply can be arranged. Never again will I economise on drinking water because I was running low on bottled water.

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
From my experience in 2022 where the Mediterranean heat really needed careful attention I fell very short and fell into difficulties because I did not drink enough. I knew I needed to drink a lot but safe water supply was often only available from water bottles bought in town. They are heavy to carry so I drank less than I should have.

We never bother with bottled water, always use the boat's tanks topped up with 2 x 20L cans when we dinghy ashore. We just use Aquasource filter which removes hose pipe taste but not bacteria.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
We never bother with bottled water, always use the boat's tanks topped up with 2 x 20L cans when we dinghy ashore. We just use Aquasource filter which removes hose pipe taste but not bacteria.
Thanks for that info. I have been here before looking for water filters in Greece but usually give up after failing to source a known brand supplier. Your use of Aquasource seems to be in line with what I have just learned on Google. They are sold by marine chandlers so they are fit for purpose. Great, I thought. I will buy the stuff here during the winter and suitcase it down to my boat in Spring.

Ha ha. Typical, Amazon.se do not list Aquasource products but I notice that Swedish chandlers do sell this product. So I will buy from a chandler now, install later.

A warning for ageing sailors in hot countries. The result of low water drinking can cause urinary retention where the bodies survival system kicks in somehow and effects normal urination. I spent three days in hospital on my urgent return from Greece where I was connected to various tubes to flush the system and get it working again. Embarrasing but I pass this on for what it is worth. Note, this is not a given but can happen sometimes. Not just heat stroke but internal damage can be caused. Unbeleivable but true. I think I am the only person in the world that this has happened to.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Definitely cold for me as I generally don't feel the cold and when it gets really cold a pair of gloves and adequate top clothes is sufficient. I have been in a tent at -20°C for a few days with no problems. On the other hand once the mercury starts to get past 30°C which I find uncomfortable I get decidedly warm and head for air conditioning or a pool, working is out of the question.

Boathook

Visit site
The cold never bothered me to much as long as I could keep my feet and hands warm. The heat I enjoy but have found 30C the maximum recently (last 2 summers).
The one thing I find horrible is the damp cold that we get in the UK. A few degrees above freezing, drizzle, a light wind and everything grey as well.

Trident

Visit site
We spent 5 years in the Med and the best investment was a Seagul (General Ecology) filter for water. Its a 99.999 % filter - you can basically pour ebola virus in to the tanks and still drink water through that filter. It meant we could fill from any non potable source like beach showers and still be healthy

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
... A warning for ageing sailors in hot countries. The result of low water drinking can cause urinary retention where the bodies survival system kicks in somehow and effects normal urination. I spent three days in hospital on my urgent return from Greece where I was connected to various tubes to flush the system and get it working again. Embarrasing but I pass this on for what it is worth. Note, this is not a given but can happen sometimes. Not just heat stroke but internal damage can be caused. Unbeleivable but true. I think I am the only person in the world that this has happened to.

What has happened to you is not that common, but it does happen and may become more common as more elderly start to enjoy their life beyond employment. You have shown a high degree of ignorance about heat and dehydration, which was the reason behind your behaviour, otherwise you would not have subjected your body to the increased probability of a heat induced early death.

It is always a good idea to pay attention to thirst, the best indicator of early onset dehydration, observe urine colour as an another positive sign of reducing hydration. Hydration is not instant, after a period of abstinence in heat, so it can take quite a bit of time to recover. The other issue is regular, low level dehydration. This is insidious, generally thirst is managed over a day but significant periods of dehydration occur during the day. The impact can be cumulative over days as the body doesn't really recover; weakness and constant fatigue are obvious indicators.

https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/keogh...und-docs/5-Birmingham-urine-analysis-tool.pdf
Heat exhaustion and heatstroke

I have teams that work in the Arabian deserts and we provide shade, cooled zones, huge volumes of water and mandatory shade breaks per 30 minutes of exposure in high summer. No restrictions on access to the cooled zones.

We also have age limits on crews working in the deserts as elderly, working aged people, are more inefficient at managing heat stress, with a bigger impact on them.

Prefer the cold any day, but was sent to Siberia, after Saudi and at -46C, I found that literally my knees knocked with cold.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
What has happened to you is not that common, but it does happen and may become more common as more elderly start to enjoy their life beyond employment. You have shown a high degree of ignorance about heat and dehydration, which was the reason behind your behaviour, otherwise you would not have subjected your body to the increased probability of a heat induced early death.

It is always a good idea to pay attention to thirst, the best indicator of early onset dehydration, observe urine colour as an another positive sign of reducing hydration. Hydration is not instant, after a period of abstinence in heat, so it can take quite a bit of time to recover. The other issue is regular, low level dehydration. This is insidious, generally thirst is managed over a day but significant periods of dehydration occur during the day. The impact can be cumulative over days as the body doesn't really recover; weakness and constant fatigue are obvious indicators.

https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/keogh...und-docs/5-Birmingham-urine-analysis-tool.pdf
Heat exhaustion and heatstroke

I have teams that work in the Arabian deserts and we provide shade, cooled zones, huge volumes of water and mandatory shade breaks per 30 minutes of exposure in high summer. No restrictions on access to the cooled zones.

We also have age limits on crews working in the deserts as elderly, working aged people, are more inefficient at managing heat stress, with a bigger impact on them.

Prefer the cold any day, but was sent to Siberia, after Saudi and at -46C, I found that literally my knees knocked with cold.
I know it was my fault, but it was mitigared by the difficulty carrying heavy bottled water. Pain and experience is a great teacher. I learned my lesson. The nurses in hospital were even more strict than you. Drink, drink, drink. An easy solution when prepared for it.

Star-Lord

Visit site
People with extreme hypothermia take off their clothes because they feel too hot. I hear it’s a nicer way to go (freezing cold) than boiling hot.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
People with extreme hypothermia take off their clothes because they feel too hot. I hear it’s a nicer way to go (freezing cold) than boiling hot.
Falling asleep in the snow is to be avoided at all cost. In Nordic countries cars used to be equiped with mandatory blankets shovels, and other stuff that was checked during an MOT. I say "used to" because i have not noticed that check for some time. Freezing to death in a stranded car is still quite common.

Bit gloomy for Christmass..

Star-Lord

Visit site
Falling asleep in the snow is to be avoided at all cost. In Nordic countries cars used to be equiped with mandatory blankets shovels, and other stuff that was checked during an MOT. I say "used to" because i have not noticed that check for some time. Freezing to death in a stranded car is still quite common.

Bit gloomy for Christmass..
You started it! Happy Christmas ☃️❄️

nortada

Visit site
C24300FF-7726-4616-8876-7F358D1A0B26.jpeg

Survival kit in the car - good advice. Mandatory in Northern Canada in winter.

Stranded cars make very efficient refrigerators so freezing to death is a real risk. In dry cold weather, building a shelter outside, to the lee of the car, could prove better protection.

Possibly a usb heated jacket and the ability to connect with an interface to the car could prove a life saver. Even if you only have a 12,000 mAH power pack it will provide heat for a fair few hours

Don’t forget to pack one for the family dog and, Oh yes, the wife.?

BurnitBlue

Visit site
View attachment 148374

Survival kit in the car - good advice. Mandatory in Northern Canada in winter.

Stranded cars make very efficient refrigerators so freezing to death is a real risk. In dry cold weather, building a shelter outside, to the lee of the car, could prove better protection.

Possibly a usb heated jacket and the ability to connect with an interface to the car could prove a life saver. Even if you only have a 12,000 mAH power pack it will provide heat for a fair few hours

Don’t forget to pack one for the family dog and, Oh yes, the wife.?
Heated blankets used on mains voltage controllers are flying off the shelves in our local department stores. Unfortunitely they are also flying into the nearest dustbin . The quality is very poor. I bought one which lasted about six hours. The replacement lasted the same.

In theory, the blankets can be mains or 12 volt mobile. Run off a car 12 volt cigarrette lighter socket depending on the model. They are 120 watt so will last all night on the car battery. They are overblanket and not very robust. In my opinion the ones I tried would be death traps. The instructions even warn against using them while switched on which in Nordic temperatures is useless. My experience is based on decenber purchase and usage of just one brand. My earler experince of UK usage was very positive. I guess that a wéll manufactured product with good specification is good.

I suspect that Skandinavia has become a dumping ground for factory rejects. The quest for profit etc.

UK has a long tradition of manufacturing heated blankets both under and over. The quality is very good.