Beta Marine engine hours display

bluerm166

Visit site
Further to oldmanof the hills comment I have checked my record photos and edited my previous post re. panel connections for a retro hours guage..See amended sketch #20 above.Can also confirm having been aboard today that the red cable from the keyswitch terminal 'AC' and the black cable from the green indicator are connected to the +ve and -ve on the guage respectively.

Boater Sam in a previous post mentioned WD40 as the enemy of plastics and I certainly suspect it as the cause of the drastic disintegration of my original BETA faceplate ,centred on the keyswitch,which I had liberally treated with spray - as per the maintenance manual.
By the way the cost of an A panel with loom (which you won't want) is over £200 inc. delivery.So I used an aluminium plate to rebuild.

Last edited:

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
The red wire on terminal 19 is normal positive supply from the ignition switch. I imagine the tacho input is then the white with red trace going onto terminal 17.

I would think one of these two drives the hours display as little else on the counter, and i suspect the brown with white trace on terminal 30 and white with black trace head off towards the temperature gauge. Beta could tell you

bluerm166

Visit site
Sorry but no.
I do have the advantage of having fully reconnected all these wires in order to set the components in my new faceplate.The hours guage was fitted with the engine by my installer to a standard type A panel.
This type is apparently no longer available with new engine orders - the basic panel now incorporates a tacho.
But the manfrs.diagram ( see the bold annotation on my revised sketch post 20) shows the original cables and this made it fairly easy to identify where the red wire and the black wire from the guage had been added .I made a photo survey and labelled individual or groups from all terminals before disconnecting anything and each of the original loom wires matched in size and colour of insulation.
If you want to investigate further you will find the BETA drawing of the panel (type A so without tacho/hrs guage) and the drawing showing the remote connections on the engine - these can be seen in the owners manual on the web.

Last edited:

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Sorry but no.
I do have the advantage of having fully reconnected all these wires in order to set the components in my new faceplate.
But the manfrs.diagram ( see the bold annotation on my revised sketch post 20) shows the original cables and this made it fairly easy to identify where the red wire and the black wire from the guage had been added .
I didnt understand your comment on the black added black wire. I took it as meaning extra connection on the inbuilt gauge not the drive to a separate external gauge. I guess driving from the green lamp feed means its only live when engine running