Beta Marine 14 - prop reluctant to turn

Sjk1000

Visit site
Hi all

We have a Beta Marine 14 in our Sadler 26. As I put the throttle forward it seems reluctant to drive the prop. Astern seems less of a problem.

Once I’ve added a few revs, or left it ticking forward for 20seconds or so, or put it into reverse a couple of times it seems fine enough but I’m not always confident that the prop will turn when we first start up.

Any advice is welcome
Thanks, Steve

earlybird

Visit site
First thing to check is the cable movement at the gear-box selector lever. It should be vertical in "neutral" with equal movement to select forward or astern. There is a screw adjuster at the cable end. The Beta handbook should be helpful for this check.It is on-line if you don'thave a copy.

Sjk1000

Visit site
Yes, that’s fine
First thing to check is the cable movement at the gear-box selector lever. It should be vertical in "neutral" with equal movement to select forward or astern. There is a screw adjuster at the cable end. The Beta handbook should be helpful for this check.It is on-line if you don'thave a copy.
Done, the lever is vertical and the cable moves it equally both forward and back

earlybird

Visit site
Can't really advise much else except to check and perhaps change the oil. That's sometimes claimed to help. If it's the TMC 'box, common on Betas then it should be ATF.
Otherwise it might be early signs of internal wear, possibly the selector mechanism

donm

Visit site
When you engage ahead or astern can you see if the coupling is turning and how fast. Does the shaft turn faster as it appears to engage and is there any noise? Certainly checking the oil is a must and it’s colour which should be ruby red and clean. Check if there are signs of bright swarf from the clutch.
Have you checked the propeller to see if it’s fouled in any way?

VicS

Visit site
Can't really advise much else except to check and perhaps change the oil. That's sometimes claimed to help. If it's the TMC 'box, common on Betas then it should be ATF.
Otherwise it might be early signs of internal wear, possibly the selector mechanism
I think this is a well know problem with these gearboxes. Wear in the selector as you suggest or maybe the forward clutch ??

I believe thy are quite easy to work on though.

dutyhog

Visit site
It happened to our TMC box on a Beta 30 after a few years. The rough coating one one of the clutch cones had worn off. It was expensive to have the engine lifted, and a new cone was slow to arrive.

Sjk1000

Visit site
Appreciate all your replies. It feels like it’ll keep us going until the end of the season. I’ll get it checked out when we’re out of the water in October.
Thanks, Steve