Beta 25 fuel starving

maremostro

Visit site
Dear members

Need help/ advice

I just bought a rival 32 with almost new (350 hrs ) Beta marine 25.
It was working fine but after some rough seas taking it above 1500 revs would lead to fuel starvation death.
When i open the bleed screw on the picture the fuel is not flowing freely as was my experience with my previous beta 16 engine however when i press the lift pump lever a squirt will come from the bleed screw,
changed fuel water separator filter ( fouled) and inspected the second filter ( not fouled)
It will run longer and on higher revs after being started cold till it gets warm when it will give not more than 1100 revs
Please Help

1000001046.png

scottie

Visit site
Before you go pulling everything to bits
Check for restrictions to tank breather
Problems after rough weather is often associated with dirt or water in the tank being disturbed

SaltIre

Visit site
Before you go pulling everything to bits
Check for restrictions to tank breather
Problems after rough weather is often associated with dirt or water in the tank being disturbed
Yup. It is possible that there's debris in the bottom of the tank obstructing the uplift of fuel from there to the engine. I've been there and got the T shirt.
Tank1.jpg

SaltIre

Visit site
Checked the line from tank to separator it's clear the flow is really good
My engine worked perfectly in calm conditions or after the boat sitting unused, despite the tank having debris, but after sailing in rough seas it didn't. I regret not investigating the tank earlier than I did.

Edit:
Where else could the "fouling" in your fuel water separator be coming from?

maremostro

Visit site
Have you considered that sediment could have settled
Yes disconected the tank to engine pipe and checked the flow also checked the filters - look good

If I have theories ? Checked most common ones and don't have any - next things involve a mechanic looking in to the engine

SaltIre

Visit site
Tank problems are common.
You could run the engine from a jerrycan of fuel. If it runs perfectly, that would suggest the engine is less likely to be at fault. Remember, though, that ~50% of the fuel drawn will "return" to the main tank, meaning more to remove if you end up emptying it.
You can sample the bottom of your tank very easily using a PELA extractor, although chunky bits might be too big for the pipe.
Pela Oil Extractors - Force 4 Chandlery

Biggles Wader

Visit site
When this happened to me it turned out to be crud in the bottom of the tank stirred up by boat movement. This blocked the pickup. No crud in the filters at all. I now have sump in the tank bottom and drain off any nasties once in a while. That and Marine 16 have been good so far.

bluerm166

Visit site
Check any inline isolating valve-particularly if it is not full bore.I had similar symptoms after heavy weather sailing and the reduced neck ,just 3 to 4mm,in the Wade valve was blocked solid.
Follow the suggestion from Saltire by testing with pickup direct from another container .

Bilgediver

Visit site
Checked the line from tank to separator it's clear the flow is really good

Os there a screw in the centre of the dome on the lift pump ? If yes then there may be a small basket filter inside. If so this can be cleaned and put back.

Not all lift pumps have this but if there is one then your symptoms are what is experienced when blocked.

maremostro

Visit site
Called beta tech support and was told to directly connect fuel source to the second filter which did not bring any difference to the choking behaviour which leaves me with the high pressure pump,
Either it's my fault since the diesel feed was not sufficient to lubricate the high pressure pump as I recall when in port there was fuel coming from the tank only after I sucked on it that is blocked feed from tank no diesel coming
Or it's something entirely different

after authorised mechanic fixes what ever was wrong
1 beta acknowledges warranty claim
2 it was my fault and I have to pay for parts and the mechanic

maremostro

Visit site
I would mention that the fuel lift pump on Beta engines is a common fail point. It is a small barely sufficient thing.
Thanks for the info,
According to beta troubleshooting advice its not the case- that is connecting directly to second filter ( primary)a fuel source resulted same symptoms meaning fuel lift pump is ok

Last edited: