Beta 20hp Valve Clearances

Ammonite

Visit site
I've tracked down what these need to be (0.15mm - 0.18mm) and am hoping someone can talk me through how to check/adjust them as I don't have a workshop manual. The operators manual on the Beta site is just that and doesn't go into this level of detail. I'm familiar with the feeler gauge, ring spanner, screwdriver bit but want to know how to position the crank, the order in which to adjust the valves etc.

The engine is a BD722 (D722 in Kubota speak). Many thanks

earlybird

Visit site
The most fool-proof method of ensuring that a valve is fully closed is to turn the engine until it is fully open, which is easily seen, then turn the crankshaft one further revolution and check the clearance.
A socket on the crank pulley nut makes this easy.
Not the quickest method overall, but it eliminates the chances of mistakes, esp. with odd numbers of cylinders.

VicS

Visit site
More or less what earlybird says but you will find you can do both valves on the same cylinder together by:

Turn the engine until the valves on one cylinder are "rocking". That is one valve just closing and the other just opening. Then turn the crankshaft through 1 revolution and adjust those two valves.

Repeat for the other cylinders.

It cuts the amount of engine turning by half compared with doing one valve at a time.