Best Way to lock your boat...

Ben Dockrell 22

Visit site
Other posters have mentioned using aluminium sheet or plate, the drawback to some of us on a small boat could be its too big a sheet to affix to the grp or other strong enough mechanism.

An answer could be to buy square bar aluminium or even sq stainless steel or sq steel bar, you just strengthen the doorway to easily take the weight and make your door, just take out so many to get in or out then replace.

prv

Visit site
One thing to bear in mind before fixing tear gas, shotguns, etc behind your hatch is that not everyone who might force entry is an enemy.

Going down for a gentle sail (more of a float) last night I got talking to the guy who runs the yard. Apparently he'd been out till midnight the previous night rescuing a boat that was sinking over at the mid-river pontoon. A split opened up either side of the keel, he said - don't know any more detail than that. But apparently he broke in to try to stop the leak (not possible) and to find a pump. Apparently four of them were taking turns on the two hand pumps for hours until they were able to lift the boat out - he was moaning at the lack of electric pump.

He'd moan a lot more if he'd jemmied the hatch to stop the boat sinking and ended up with a faceful of Mace :)

Pete

Ben Dockrell 22

Visit site
Forget where abouts just now but if anyone wants to club together to raise $250.000 to buy a 1950,s russian sub i have my tenner right here ! :)

Your going to be so much safer than most on the water when you can dive beneath the waves.

kevink 6771

www.kbiltd.com
my boat is fitted with an alarm system complete with blue strobe light!
It didn't stop the scrotes attempting a break-in, the vibration sensor set the alarm off but not before the crow-bar had damaged the door!

With an alarm, what is needed is a pressure mat so the alarm goes off before they set to work on the door :mad:

PICT0789.jpg

Yes they may have done the damage, but would they have done more damage,or stole more if there was no alarm?

rob2

Visit site
I helped a friend fit a strengthening bar across the washboard so as to mount a Yale rim latch. It worked so well that the thieves splintered the bulkhead to get in...

As to hiding the key on board, you could clip it onto the burgee halyard and hoist it aloft - out of sight, out of mind.

Rob.

kevink 6771

www.kbiltd.com
Ironically enough, the guy near me on the beach had his washboard kicked in the other day, but the scumbags were caught walking of with his fire extinguishers.
They've be forced to pay compensation, he got a full apology, and apparently they will be forced to clean the beach and harbour as a penance .
Which is good news for me, as there is quite abit old old paint flakes lying under my boat :)

nortonmotors

Visit site
I have a strong padlock which clamps around the stainless runner on one side of my sliding hatch. Can't remove the washboards 'till the hatch is open, can't slide the hatch 'till the lock is removed. The lock key is on the same ring as my car and house keys.
It was all very well until I'd locked up at the end of the day, dinghied ashore, and hadn't got my keys to drive home. I assumed I'd done the unthinkable and left my keys inside the boat.
I walked (walked!) to a hardware store to buy a hacksaw and blades, sawed through the 1/4" x 1 1/2" runner in two places to remove the lock, and din't find the keys inside. I eventually found them under the bottom boards of the dinghy and was able to drive home.
Every 'foolproof' system has its weakness - the operator.

RFML

Visit site
Ironically enough, the guy near me on the beach had his washboard kicked in the other day, but the scumbags were caught walking of with his fire extinguishers.
They've be forced to pay compensation, he got a full apology, and apparently they will be forced to clean the beach and harbour as a penance .
Which is good news for me, as there is quite abit old old paint flakes lying under my boat :)

Seems fair enough :p