Best VAT unincumbered pre 1985 liveaboard

goeasy123

Visit site
I assume a pre 85 boats doesn't have an UK or EU VAT issue. They can sail in UK or EU without worrying about RGR.

Therefore what's the best 40 to 50 foot, easy to two up sail, for a live aboard couple.... pros and cons?

dunedin

Visit site
You might be starting with a false assumption. Depending on where the boat was in 1990-something, the boat would have been deemed EU VAT paid at the time. It is not “VAT exempt”, and there is a big difference.
Therefore it is the same as say a 2000 boat that was EU VAT paid. The status can and will be lost depending on location at 31/12/20. So no advantage in being pre-85.

CLB

Visit site
You assume wrong. Any boat, regardless of age, imported from outside of the VAT area will incur VAT and import duty. (RGR making the only exception)

Artic Warrior

Visit site
You might be starting with a false assumption. Depending on where the boat was in 1990-something, the boat would have been deemed EU VAT paid at the time. It is not “VAT exempt”, and there is a big difference.
Therefore it is the same as say a 2000 boat that was EU VAT paid. The status can and will be lost depending on location at 31/12/20. So no advantage in being pre-85.
That is very correct and I think the key date was march 1995

syvictoria

Visit site
That is very correct and I think the key date was march 1995

Not March 1995 I believe. The correct dates are stated in HRMC's Notice 8 - Notice 8: sailing your pleasure craft to and from the UK

UK residents should only use a vessel in the UK if they are in free circulation in the UK, as UK domestic goods. Included, as such, are pleasure craft with VAT paid or deemed VAT status valid at 31/12/20, located in Great Britain 31/12/20. Deemed VAT paid includes certain vessels that were in use as private pleasure craft prior to 1 January 1985 and were in the UK or EU on 31 December 1992.

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I've just checked...
Your vessal would have had to been in the EU midnight December 31st 1992 to retain its EU vat status
So the question is , how do you prove where the boat was over 30 years ago especially as it probably change owners in that time ,
which bring up the question of proving where the boat was in Dec 2020 in years to come .

nortada

Visit site
I suspect this issue will be resolved by political opinion ‘advising’ HMRC how to play it.

My MP is an enthusiastic sailor with a fairly ancient boat, how about yours❓