Best value marinas in West Country?

thejonesey

Visit site
Just in the process of planning our summer trip and have decided to take the boat down to West Country in advance of the holiday. Weather permitting, I hope to cross then leave the boat for 10 days in a marina. Possible venues near to be near(ish) to a train station, secure and good value! I was thinking of a Torquay, Brixham, Dartmouth... any recommendations please?

Thanks
Rob

Nigelpickin

www.cornishcottageholidays.co.uk
If not too far I'd call Charles at Mayflower in Plymouth. Lovely Marina and they do a good rate.
Otherwise Sutton is another good one.
From there you can take a fantastic cruise, night on the Yealm, couple of nights in Salcombe and on to Dartmouth and then Torbay....
Problem with Dartmouth, other than rail link, is that most V moorings are on island pontoons and if you are lucky to get into Darthaven or Dart Marina they are a bit more expensive.

A the best

Jurgen

Visit site
Thoroughly recommend Brixham but it is a decent Taxi ride from Paignton.
Torquay marina is a 5 min taxi from the station.
Kingswere is next to the Chuff Chuff line from Paignton but this is a tourist train so not sure how frequently it runs but brings you into Dartmouth

Switch

Visit site
Kingswere is next to the Chuff Chuff line from Paignton but this is a tourist train so not sure how frequently it runs but brings you into Dartmouth

Brixham is bloomin expensive! I think I paid over £50 per night last year (42ft boat)

Gwylan

Visit site
Just in the process of planning our summer trip and have decided to take the boat down to West Country in advance of the holiday. Weather permitting, I hope to cross then leave the boat for 10 days in a marina. Possible venues near to be near(ish) to a train station, secure and good value! I was thinking of a Torquay, Brixham, Dartmouth... any recommendations please?

Thanks
Rob

Have just done that route and further. After several years sailing on the French side I am in a state of shock over the marina prices along the south coast.

Least bad was Newlyn, never thought I would say that. But no showers worthy of the name and a long way from anywhere. Unless you are on your way to Ireland or the Scillies

MDL have their 'loyalty' scheme that eases the pain. Torquay is handy for the station and the facilities are very good.
But apart from the indifferent facilities the town quay in Torquay municipal moorings are hard to beat. Hence popular and hard to find a space - certainly not for a longer term park.

Salcombe, on a buoy - then you need the dinghy or the water taxi to get ashore.

Good luck

thejonesey

Visit site
I was thinking of ringing ahead to see if they would give me a cheaper rate for the 10 day stretch. I don't suppose MDL will but hoped that someone might suggest an independent?
Just thought... I could tell them that we are considering moving West... Which is a possibility in the longer term!

Last edited:

sprocker

Visit site
Has to be worth a try. I would call sooner rather than later though, the dockies were telling me on Saturday that they are very busy this year.

Maybe give a shout out if you get something sorted, could be an excuse for a YBW meet up?

Jurgen

Visit site
As long as we're back in the water this weekend the plan is to head to the channel islands on the 27th of June then head back via Torbay to catch up with some old boaty friends before heading back to the Hamble.

All weather dependent of course

Elessar

Visit site

Where did paignton come into this?
Anyway we walked brixham to paignton last time we were there (easter, with dog and 8 yr old) choo choo back to dartmouth and grockle boat back to brixham. Lovely day :)

Elessar

Visit site

Thanks
Rob

try calling dartmouth HM, always helpful and he may know of a temporary mooring. You can always leave the boat mid river if you can find one.