Best source for Bora forcast in Croatia ?

affinite

Visit site
That recent post with the video of the nightmare Bora in Croatia has got me thinking about forcasts.
We are moving up to Southern Croatia in a few weeks and I want to pinpoint the best sources for a Bora forcast. Does the Bora spring up without warning?, does the CG broadcast a warning on VHF?, will I pickup a warning on Navtext? or is it down to me to spot the signs.
In Greece I use Navtext and RTTY to get a daily forcast but is this the best source for Bora (and Jugo) warnings ? I know the worst Bora come in the winter and wont affect me, as we only cruise during the summer, but I understand that there are a few during the summer months so I want to be prepared.
BTW I dont intend to spend much time in marinas, so looking on the notice board wont be an option
Thanks Steve

richardwatson

www.sailblogs.com
The RTTY broadcasts from Hamburg are your best bet. The Croatian marine forecasts really do hedge their bets. The Bora can indeed occasionally spring up without warning, but thats mainly in the Velebilt Canal where the locals say if you see a whisp of white cloud coming over the top of the mountains, you should drop your sails immediately! In southern Croatia you should get more notice, but they often gust much stronger than forecast.

Metabarca

Visit site
If you take a look at mu site, you'll find a number of sites providing weather for Croatia. The Croatian VHF broadcast seems to be non-existent (or has been for the past two years). You might get the Italian one on VHF but have to wait for them to get round to the Adriatic as they do the Med first. These people send SMS: meteo
It's usually forecastable but there can be considerable local variations. More unpredictable is a 'neverin' from the NW, usually heralded by v dark horizon in that sector. It can whip up an unholy wind, usually with rain lasting an hour or two. As bad or worse than the bora.

davidbains

Visit site
The Navtex from Split is your best guide at sea.
They don't use the term Bora. But frequently fcst strong NE gusts which don't always appear.The time to be careful is when the next ridge pushes the previous trough west. In fact I have heard a Croatian say "the Yugo brings bad weather and the Bora brings good weather!!" But strong Boras are not common in summer although not unknown as I can testify. In fact a slight Borino is a common morning wind and sailing in a light to moderate Bora (from the northeast) is common, and fine among the Croatian islands where the sea will be flattish. You do have to "mind the gaps" though, especially the longer ones such as from the tip of Istria to Losinj. However when the navtex forecasts 50kt gusts stay in Harbour!!
The pilot book (777ports or something similar) has a good section on weather and Lucian's website is very informative on all matters Adriatic.

Korala

www.saillavie.pl
Bora (correctly Bura) is Croatian attribute for NE wind. You'll never see "Bora" or "Bura" in a english weather forecast for Adriatic.
internet www:
http://prognoza.hr/jadran_e.html
mobile wap:
http://meteo.hr/mobile/Dhmze.wml
Navtex: 518kHz "Q" from Split Radio at: 0545, 1445, 1945
VHF:
Rijeka Radio VHF channel 24: 05.35, 14.35, 19.35
Split Radio VHF channel 21, 07, 81, 23: 05.45, 12.45, 19.45
Dubrovnik Radio VHF channel 07, 04: 06.25, 13.20, 21.20

Metabarca

Visit site
Welcome to the forum, Korala. But I'm sorry to contradict you but if you see an English-weather forecast saying 'bura' instead of 'bora', it's because it's being given by a Croatian. Check in the OED or Collins: in English, we say 'bora'. In its modern form, the word derives from the Venetian dialect word, 'bora' and ultimately from the Latin, 'boreas'.
I've no axe to grind with Croatia , but the one thing I dislike about the country is its dislexic nationalism and distorted sense of history, as though no other nations had been involved in its formation (is this vision a passing phase of a new country?). I've no wish to turn back the history books, but to pretend that Dalmatia went from the Greeks and Romans to Slavdom is silly. And the hacking at British plaques in Vis and destruction of Venetian lions petty. It was a territory of invasion (pacific and by war). Now, it's Croatian. Fine. But don't try rewriting the books. It's unworthy of any country.