Best radars ?

Boo2

Visit site
Is there much to choose between modern radars ? And are the latest versions much better than the 5-10 year old ones that come onto the second hand market ?

My boat has a mainly Autohelm / Raymarine setup which would seem to point in that direction...

Thanks,

Boo2

lenseman

www.dswmarineengineering.com
If you sail solo, an older type of radar would be 'less easy' to use that a more modern unit.

The older stand alone radars are usually fitted with a chart room display screen which is either left on (~7Amps) or has to be turned on and spun up which means time away from the helm. The PPI (display) also does nothing to help with night vision either.

A modern radar are often be incorporated into the chart plotter which might also be at the helm, so you can see an advantage with this idea, the chart plotter would be dimmed for night passage and the radar display would be dimmed also. These modern radars draw only 1 or 2 Amps when on, my Garmin draws 1.7Amps.

You pays your money and takes your choice? :)

Neeves

Visit site
I'd go along with lenseman.

Our Raymarine Pathfinder went down, both scanner and screen. We wanted to replace. Sadly the new radars are incompatible with the older screens - so you need a new screen as well as a new scanner. Most modern screens do everything, so your new screen will be chartplotter, radar screen, depth display, AIS almost everything except whistle when the kettle boils.

I've tested Navico's, Simrad, Lowrance et al BR24, 3G and 4G Broadband radar and have been sufficiently impressed we bought the 3G (before the 4G was introduced). 1.5amp draw when on, 0.3 amp draw on standby and instant on (no warm up). Stunning close range target identification - starts at the bow of our boat (we can see the outboard for the tender hanging off the stern). Long range its a bit 'iffy'. If you need reliable 20nm plus range, go for traditional pulse radar if you can live with 20nm max, go for low power, instant on, Broadband.

I think you can buy the 3G + NSS7 (MFD) for around £2,000 (icludes VAT) as a bundle currently

There will be a detailed review of 3G/4G in America's Practical Sailor in their Dec issue - try to get a copy, it might help you. I think there is also a detailed review, covers bits missed by past reviews, planned for the UK but its about 4 months off.

Jonathan

Last edited:

Skylark

Visit site
I have a Lowrance 3G with independant plotters at the helm and at the nav station. I also regularly sail a boat with a 10 year old Raymarine set.

Subjectively, Neeves makes a valid point that the broadband radar is good at short distance but the traditional technology wins at longer distance. My boat is 36ft and the radar is mounted mid-way up the mast. I struggle to "see" much beyond about 10M.

Fully integrated with a chart plotter makes the set very easy to use. I try to use radar as often as possible to "look around" in good conditions because without regular use I think it is the most difficult piece of kit to confidently interpret.

hans

Visit site
Slightly concerned about the modern tendency towards everything on one screen. Our plotter screen (navman, now advansea) went black after one year. Very glad we had Furuno old fashioned radar (mod 1715 if I remember correct) on separate screen. One screen = all eggs in one basket.

Neeves

Visit site
Slightly concerned about the modern tendency towards everything on one screen. Our plotter screen (navman, now advansea) went black after one year. Very glad we had Furuno old fashioned radar (mod 1715 if I remember correct) on separate screen. One screen = all eggs in one basket.

Totally agree

But screens are now extortionate, partially because if you buy an MFD it now incorporates a lot of software (some of which you do not need). For example if you buy many, some, all Navico MFD they have soft ware for radar, depth sounders and sophisticated sonar scanners and you might not have or ever buy the scanners/transducers. The fall back might be, hand held GPS (with micro-screen) ipad (or phone) with charting software, laptop with charting software and independent GPS, even old fashioned paper charts and DR. Not much help for radar. You can buy Navico's Broadband soft ware for a computer - but I suspect its not cheap. If its any reassuarance - our NSS can display radar without the GPS (though you obviously do not get a chart overlay).

But your comment is valid and, as far as I know, Navico do not offer a (cheap) stand alone screen for their Broadband (you buy a screen with all the bells and whistles or not at all).

Jonathan