best priced chandlery

ianainge

Visit site
need to buy life jackets, flares,fire extinguishers etc anyone know the best place around Southampton/Portsmouth area to puchase said items?

jfm

Visit site
shamrock quay is ok, you get a money off voucher at end of year which you can sell on this forum for cash to barryD or someone

milltech

www.iTalkFM.com
For the flares, try me. Valid to 12/2004 there's a selection available right now, by the weekend I hope we'll have Collision Blisters, Inshore Blisters and Kegs and Coastal Kegs. Good savings, but better if you can combine with others because of the cost of shipping compustable material.

John
www.allgadgets.co.uk

John

D

Deleted User YDKXO

All chandlery is overpriced but for a good selection of useful stuff, try Alladins Cave in Bursleden. They have 2 shops, one next to Moodys and a larger one on the same side of the road but the other side of the bridge which is better for boaty stuff

numenius

Visit site
Yep - get on the net and scour - EVERYWHERE is local to you now. In the year I bought my boat (2 years ago), I bought about 80% of my stuff from the net - radio, radar, lifejackets, anchor(s) rope, flares, antifoul etc etc from several different suppliers and some stuff even from the U.S. Being on a tight budget I shopped around thoroughly. In total, comparing the prices at our nearest 4 chandlers, I saved over £2500 - and that includes what carriage cost me. Sure, it took some time up, but even allowing for it taking a week in real time, £2500 for a weeks work isnt bad! I did find that where a supplier was cheaper for one thing, they where not necessarily so for another and in fact could be very much dearer. Some stuff I bought from the U.S saved me so much money that even if I were to return it under guarantee I could afford to do so several times and still be in pocket. I also received one item from the U.S in 3 (yes, three!) days. Which makes me laugh when suppliers here say "Allow 14 days for delivery" etc....

http://members.lycos.co.uk/boaty1965/index.htm