Best meal afloat

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Do you eat on board or prefer to go ashore?

If anything like us it's probably a bit of both, however our best meals do tend to be on board, partly I suppose cos we can and do catch our own food.

The most memorable meal I had was actually one of the simplest, went out diving, came up with a few crabs and a lobster, came back in and decided to cook them, but no pan big enough, so looked on the beach and found half a 40 gallon oil can, took it over onto Dawlish Warren, one of the best beaches in Devon, scoured it out, filled it with seawater, dug a hole, gathered loads of dried grass and wood and had a huge fire and cooked the lot.

Nothing has ever tasted better, even with the film of oil on the surface of the water, sat on a large piece of driftwood, a warm sunny day, hot seafood straight from the pot, still makes my mouth water!

I guess that's why I still enjoy boating, eating al fresco, plenty of barbies in the cockpit, good company, what could be better.

Roll on the summer!

<hr width=100% size=1>

DepSol

Visit site
Best meals I have a float is when we go to dielette for the day.

Leave harbour around 9.30 am get to France for 10.30am 11.30 french time. Have a few drinks in the port before getting a cab up to Les Pieux. Shop around Les Pieux for bargains then off to a restaurant for lunch. Nice long lunch then off to the supermarket to stock up with wine beer and Pate fresh french bread cheese and all the other french food we like.

Taxi back to the port where we load up boat and go for a few beers at Lescale in the sun. Around 5pm French time go back to Guernsey arrive Herm 5pm GMT moor boat in strategic spot then go swimming fishing and relaxing with more beer till 8pm. 8pm eat french food bought in spermarket, large salad frnch bread pate and camembert with some red wine whilst we watch the sun go down.

Make our way back to harbour as the sun sets over St Peter Port. Now that is living.

<hr width=100% size=1>Dom

2003 is going to be a good year for me

ccscott49

Visit site
I don't think I could better that!! Did a very similar thing in BC, fresh salmon, caught off the boat, pacific oysters off the beach, wood fire, wrapped the salmon in foil, used the cooker grills over the fire. Oysters half shelled, bit of bacon on top of each, worstershire sauce on top, (oysters kilpatrick) fabulous!! Few cans of beer! Nothing like eating outside rough???

<hr width=100% size=1>

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Also nothing much better than fresh mackerel straight from the sea into the frying pan or under the grill, and it's good for you!

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
We once tried this on Lough Lomond. Water to shallow so could not get close enough to shore. Got kids dinghy out, but no oars. Finally rigged line from boat to shore, so dinghy could go back and forth colecting crew. Hole in dinghy, so bent double and sat on lake bed. Tried to light fire but wood all wet through. Then saw sign. NO LANDING so thought bugger it and carried on. Then the warden came round so had to hide. Then it started raining.

Shall I carry on??

Best meals. Mark two.

Walking round Fowey, thinking what, where to eat. Spy fish shop. Get loads of scalops, prawns mussels. Bottle of wine onion, cream. French bread. Stick in frying pan (not the bread) Sit on back of boat and eat.

Best meal MK 3

Eating all Long Johns bloody scalops till feeling sick......../forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue> Haydn

ccscott49

Visit site
Totally agree, used to catch them, coming up the Dart to feed, great eating, even built a smoker one year!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
Fresh caught mackerel, barbecued in a pit on the beach with driftwood. Takes some beating.

Used to do this often as a kid in West Wales.

<hr width=100% size=1>

D

Deleted User YDKXO

A fillet steak and a bottle of plonk following an ill advised roller coaster ride off N.Brittany in a F8 and a first time entrance in the dark into Lezardrieux.
Buying a load of fresh oysters in St Peter Port fish market and consuming them in the cockpit whilst at anchor off Sark
SWMBO buying a live lobster from a Guernsey fisherman and trying to keep it from escaping from pot whilst boiling the bloody thing at 20knots mid Channel.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
easy
Island of Gigha in outer hebrides
pulled mussels of an old wooden jetty and had freshly smoked mackerel caught and smoked on board
Moules marinier and smoked mackerel
beautiful venue and weather.

lots of barbeques of the back
best barbeque
english harbour
met up with a couple who were in a bar the previous night
took them out for a sail then a barbie. kept on going about his dad and Man city FC. turned out he was francis lee's son. he wasn't offended when i said isn't he a famous footballer, world cup or something????

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>Ok brain let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer</font color=red>

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>Fish finger sandwiches after towing a boat back to the Hamble, a tow that lasted 12 hours in a force 6.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Someone had to lower the tone! ;-)

Next you'll be telling us you caught them and cooked them yourself!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Steve_D

Visit site
Sat on the cliffs on Staffa above fingals cave, eating a fine curry cooked by my mate.

Overlooking the Treshnish Isles watching the sun go down after a hard day on the water.

If I'd been religious I would have had a religious experience. Only I'm not so I didn't, but it was pretty good anyway.

Regards

Steve D

<hr width=100% size=1>

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>Not lowering the tone, that really was the best grub I ever enjoyed aboard. I have had fancy cordon bleu meals aboard such as Peas & Faggots, Doner Kebabs, Tripe & Onions but nuddinks was as good as those sarnies.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Load of cods......

Couple of decent cod fillets or cutlets in a dish, cover with sliced tomatoes, then sprinke liberally with diced spring onions and bacon bits or lardons and drizzle with olive oil. Keep a few onion bits and lardons back for later. Stick in oven for about 15mins medium hot. Boil and mash potatoes and mix in kept back bits and serve up with fish when cooked - drizzle a little juice from dish over fish. Dead easy and tastes brill.........

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boatsontheweb.com/galleryframes.html> BoatsOnTheWeb, Photo Gallery, Chat Room</A>

Bejasus

Visit site
LOCH you Lancastrian dilettante

it's not in bloody Ireland........................../forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/h00>http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/h00</A>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re:I think you will find

In lancashire
the proper insult is to call him a Dilly Barlow

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>Ok brain let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer</font color=red>

BarryH

Visit site
Full English breccy in Lulworth Cove at 5.30 in the morn watching the sun come up, well bit higher than it was anyway. Or collecting half a gallon of cockles off the back of shell bay and boiling them up on the beach.

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>Did they taste as good coming up as they did going down?