Best long-stay northern France marina?

Star-Lord

Visit site
What's the best long stay marina in northern France? Pontoon comfort in bad weather / proximity to a nice town or village or city / competitive price and ease of getting back to UK for trips in the summer.
I have been looking at Cherbourg.
Been to Fecamp (a bit small) and Deauville (main marina bit of a hike from town). TIA.

Parabordi

Visit site
My home port is Boulogne. Right by the city….5 min walk to supermarket…centre of town (which didn’t get destroyed in WW2) is beautiful. Main marina is in locked basin so very sheltered. Well worth a recce….oh, a very economic which helps!
can you post a link to the website? cheers

Bob the Dog

Visit site
I was speaking to someone yesterday who told me that Gravelines, between Calais and Dunkerque, now has deep water at low water which I presume is the culmination of the lock gate repairs. Small but lovely…Lidl’s 50 metres from the off ramp and an excellent bistro even closer. Very well worth a look.

Star-Lord

Visit site
I would suggest Dieppe.

Convenient Newhaven-Dieppe ferry for trips from/to the UK

Leisure boating - Port de Dieppe - Ports de Normandie
So glad Dieppe has been mentioned. Have you been there in bad weather? I Read on Navily that Dieppe 'Many waves roll in with NW wind. The fishing boats do not respect the speed limits.' Not so concerned about fishing boats. But reasonable comfort would be nice. Do you have any views on the average comfort in bad NW weather?

Star-Lord

Visit site
can you post a link to the website? cheers
My home port is Boulogne. Right by the city….5 min walk to supermarket…centre of town (which didn’t get destroyed in WW2) is beautiful. Main marina is in locked basin so very sheltered. Well worth a recce….oh, a very economic which helps!
Thanks you! This looks great. If I get it sorted drinks on me 🍷🍷

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
So glad Dieppe has been mentioned. Have you been there in bad weather? I Read on Navily that Dieppe 'Many waves roll in with NW wind. The fishing boats do not respect the speed limits.' Not so concerned about fishing boats. But reasonable comfort would be nice. Do you have any views on the average comfort in bad NW weather?

Dieppe has been our port of refuge a number of times.
Whilst there may be some rollers in the harbour entrance in strong NW-ly winds, the marina itself is very sheltered.

Star-Lord

Visit site
Plus it is a port of entry & served by a ferry from the UK. A better cruising ground than Dieppe or Boulogne. But that being said, I like both of those. Boulogne is not so accessible by ferry needing a train as well. Could get ferry delays at peak times in the Dover Strait, but cheaper if going via Calais
But the marina seems a little far out of town? I should have made it more clear in my original post - ideally looking for a winter berth to liveaboard - so no cruising. Just caravan parking 🅿️

Lightwave395

Visit site
But the marina seems a little far out of town? I should have made it more clear in my original post - ideally looking for a winter berth to liveaboard - so no cruising. Just caravan parking 🅿️
If a 15 minute walk is too far then it probably is, there's also a decent supermarket 20 mins away too - not in the direction of the town. It's a lovely place to be IMHO but although the marina is modern with good showers and helpfull staff you'd need to be sure you could get a berth well into towards the main walkway. We were berthed there for 18 months (not a liveaboard) and the outer pontoons get considerable amounts of tide at an angle to the finger berths and often uncomfortable choppy water in anything lively and/or with North in it.
Whilst its not quite really Northern France and you'd need a car then I'd say Arzal is the best place for cost, mooring peace and tranquility but there aren't any sizeable food shops nearby. A huge Leclerc is 10mins drive

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com

I've visited both Roscoff and Dieppe.
Both have their pros and cons when it comes to cruising.
However, if you're just looking for a parking spot for Winter, I would opt for Dieppe.
- you're bang in the town centre
- everything is accesible without the need for a car
- well sheltered marina
- fewer Winter storms than northern Finistere

Also a factor is where in the UK you will be travelling from. From the West Country, Roscoff would make more sense, but from SE England Dieppe would be more convenient.
And last but not least: the 4.5hr DFDS ferry trip from Newhaven to Dieppe is considerably cheaper than the 9hr/overnight Brittany Ferries voyage to Roscoff.
When we travel to the UK to visist relatives in Bedford we either take the Dieppe/Newhaven ferry or Eurotunnel even though Roscoff is only 90 minutes away from where we live.