Best LED Masthead Nav lights

pcatterall

Visit site
Apologies for all my recent questions, we have aquired a 'new' yacht and are trying to update her a little. ( She's a Neptunian 33' ketch)
One small item concerns the lack of nav lights at the mast head, there is an anchor light with an 'ordinary' bulb but I would like to install a full set of nav lights and an led anchor light.
The only complete set I have seen is the Aqua light (?) system at a lot of quids and the Nasa system which is cheap but without an anchor light.
What are the advised options here please.
(I will be looking at the deck level lights with a view to fitting led bulbs)
Thanks as always

sarabande

Visit site
Optolamp make some pretty well-specced ones for the RTW people. They are made in Brazil in various configurations, including one with a strobe.

www.optolamp.com

Not quite sure who is the agent in UK.

I bought ours new from eBay for £70. :)

benlui

Caribbean-South IRL-East Coast UK and everywhere e
Visit site
Hi PC.
After MUCH research on which ones i should have, i eventually went for these.
I can recommend Lopo. I upgraded every nav lights on my boat 2 years ago to these. Not the steaming and deck light of course......
See link below.

http://www.lopolight.com/index.html

I went for the mast head tri colour, and the lower bow and stern nav lights. I also went for the bow port and starboard as one piece and mounted it on the centre of the pulpit to save costs.
I can honestly say these lights are fantastic. The downside is they are not cheap but are well worth the expense.

rob2

Visit site
Nasa also make an LED anchor light in an identical package to the tricolour. Last time I looked, they were both available at around £40 each. You do have to devise your own way of mounting one above the other, unless the manufacturers have taken note of the problem.

On that note, why dont makers of lights like these (Lopo have the same potential problem) put a tube up the middle so other things can be mounted above them, like the VHF aerial or RTE? Surely some manufacturers have seen a boat!

Rob.

VicS

Visit site
Nasa also make an LED anchor light in an identical package to the tricolour. Last time I looked, they were both available at around £40 each. You do have to devise your own way of mounting one above the other, unless the manufacturers have taken note of the problem.

On that note, why dont makers of lights like these (Lopo have the same potential problem) put a tube up the middle so other things can be mounted above them, like the VHF aerial or RTE? Surely some manufacturers have seen a boat!

Rob

There was recently either an article in PBO or a detailed post on here showing how the two Nasa lights could be piggy backed.

Been looking but have not managed to find it yet.

prv

Visit site
Bear in mind that a masthead anchor light is not always the best solution, being out of the normal line-of-sight when nearby and often lost against a background of shore lights. AWB manufacturers put them in cos it's easier (and cheaper in bulk) than having one that hangs in the rigging, and it looks neater at the boatshow to have a switch to flip rather than messing about with halyards and cables.

I guess it doesn't hurt to have the option of an all-round light at the masthead; what I'm getting at is that if a system you like doesn't allow it, it's not the end of the world.

Pete

RivalRedwing

Visit site
I guess it doesn't hurt to have the option of an all-round light at the masthead; what I'm getting at is that if a system you like doesn't allow it, it's not the end of the world.

Pete

I agree but none the less, isn't it good etiquette ?[/QUOTE]

Not showing an anchor light is a poor show, having a low level one is perfectly acceptable and to my mind a better option in many small craft anchorages.