Best keel for drying out?

gunnarsilins

www.eilean.se
I’m looking for a shallow draft boat, less than 11 metres and less than 1,5 meters draft capable taking the ground when cruising. The boat must be able doing offshore cruising and our budget is less than £ 45-50k.
A swing keel Southerly 105 is high on the list but there might be others, like bilge keelers or long/long fin keelers with beaching legs, (any suggestions of boats are appreciated).

What is the opinion from you ”tidal people” about which keel type to prefer when cruising and wanting to to take the ground now and then?
Of course the spot where to dry out will be chosen with caution. But it’s not realistic to always have a look at low water prior grounding, so minor obstructions or un-evenesses must be expected as well as some bumping if choppy. Will a bilge keeler whitstand this sort of abuse better than a Southerly with its grounding plate. Or what about legs?

Regards
Gunnar
Stockholm

Flossdog

Visit site
We bought a Southerly last year and are really pleased with it. For a cruiser, it is great with bags of accommodation and it sails very well. Am careful though where we dry out and sand is preferred, mud fine but rocky ground is, of course, a no no. Previously had fin keels and in shoal tidal waters, always a worry. Northshore also, are a very supportive builder.

ronsurf

Visit site
Bilge keel is best for drying out in my opinion - the contact with the ground is much less than a lifting keel, so the odd rock is not going to do anywhere near as much damage.

chasroberts

Visit site
Another vote for the S105. Right in your price bracket and very solidly built. There is a very large grounding plate as part of the lifting keel arrangment which protects the bottom. With a draft of 0.8mt with the keel up, can head places where even a bilge keeler can't go.

srevir

Visit site
So where are the comments from the westerly, moody and sadler brigades.

My Centaur was great at taking the ground - even when I didn't intend to !!

Have fun

wotayottie

Visit site
Yes there are Moodies up to 36 ft with bilge keels and Westerlies up to 35 ft.

You pays yourr money and makes your choice. I decided on a bilge rather than a Southerley or Ovni. In part the reason was stability (versus the Ovni) but also because the area I sail in has an industrial heritage and all sorts of old iron on the sea bed. To my mind, a lift keel hull is just too vulverable.

Little difference in sailing performance though the Southerlies built before the intro of the twin keels dont have a good rep. They are definitely motorsailers to windward in a chop.

If the boat ios for long distance cruising then to my mind the only attractive choice is the cat - having owned one.

RMA

Visit site
I had bilge keelers before I bought my Southerly. Drying out with either sort of boat is always a bit of a worry if you don’t know what the bottom is like. I once took the ground in a bilge keeler and spent a worried few hours leaning to one side at a most alarming angle - one of the keels found an area of soft sand and sank in right up to the hull. I was afraid to move a muscle in case the boat tipped right over. At least with the Southerly, if you take normal precautions it will sit upright, and unless you are unlucky the grounding plate has a reasonable chance of dealing with any supermarket trolleys or old batteries lurking below. Of course there are other advantages with a boat the only draws 2'3" with the keel up. But you need to be careful with either keel configuration.

G

Wrong ... there are Moodies up to 43ft with bilge keels ..... Eclipse 43 to order was available with BK. A rare much sought after beast !!

G

Legs ... yep - conspicuous by absence !

They are fine if you know the ground you will settle to. Otherwise it's a gamble that has no way out if you make error. Imagine a grounding where you have reasoinably solid oneside and "goop" other. With lift keel / Bilge keel even - you have a reasonable chance of being near level - at least at angle you can survive ... it's happened to me ... But do itv with legs ? Small contact area at base of leg ... long keel so not hull "belly" as in a BK or Lift keel job ...

Legs IMHO are a compromise item to assist in drying out possibilities ...

I am sure that those with them thouigh can advise their experiernces etc. My opinion is just that ...