best internet in South Peloponnese

Carmel2

Visit site
Who would people say gives the best internet coverage in the South Peloponnese: Cosmote, Vodafone or Wind? I am guessing it is all pretty patchy but would be good to know which is best or a complete waste of time. Also, any recommendations on a safe bolthole anchorage with a few provisions, tavernas etc ashore which would be good to hang out in for a few weeks July/Aug?

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
When we circumnavigated the Peloponnese about five years ago I don't recall any particular connection problems with Vodafone. Our Greek friend tells me that Cosmote has the best coverage but we always seem to run into problems when trying to buy the necessary SIMs. So we have stayed with Vodafone throughout our past 7 or 8 years.

Tony Cross

Visit site
Wind 3G was patchy last Autumn on the west and southwest sides. Far from ideal.

As to a bolthole, the top end of Navarino Bay is delightful and pretty safe. No provisions though but you can pop down to Pilos marina and squeeze yourself in somewhere, it's free by the way. Good provisions and bars/tavernas too. Pilos marina is bombproof.

syfuga

www.syfuga.co.uk
Hi

I'd second Navarino Bay, either at the north end as Tony suggests, or you can anchor off the marina and dinghy in. It was pretty crowded with old boats when we were last there. I don't want to spoil our fun, but the Greeks could clear Pilos of junk and start charging people to use it to help with their deficit.

NornaBiron

www.flickr.com
Wind 3G was patchy last Autumn on the west and southwest sides. Far from ideal.

As to a bolthole, the top end of Navarino Bay is delightful and pretty safe. No provisions though but you can pop down to Pilos marina and squeeze yourself in somewhere, it's free by the way. Good provisions and bars/tavernas too. Pilos marina is bombproof.

Watch out for the killer mosquitoes at the north end of the bay, especially if you walk up to the old castle.

Tony Cross

Visit site
Hi

I'd second Navarino Bay, either at the north end as Tony suggests, or you can anchor off the marina and dinghy in. It was pretty crowded with old boats when we were last there. I don't want to spoil our fun, but the Greeks could clear Pilos of junk and start charging people to use it to help with their deficit.

Nobody wants to take it on. The number of visiting boats it gets is far from enough to be worth anyone's while and the local boats would mostly vanish if they had to pay.

IanScrim

Visit site
For us Cosmote was great, SWMBO was working off boat and had great coverage all the way around the Peloponnese, good deal for 30 days. +1 for Pilos, marina at Kalamata offers good value and the olives are the Best!! We did anchor up near Elafonisos, but cannot find exact location, but beware of Ak Maleas, as we neared SWMBO was surprised when I asked for assistance to reef down, as she had good signal for her emails, and did not realise how gusty it had got! Loved Monemvasia

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Bought a Cosmote mobile wifi today. Good offer at present, 10Gb for €30, far better than the 2Gb for €40 we have been paying for Vodafone. Speed is lightning fast compared with VF here in Leros, and the bonus that I can use the iPad and laptop on the same contract. The mifi was €60.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Bought a Cosmote mobile wifi today. Good offer at present, 10Gb for €30, far better than the 2Gb for €40 we have been paying for Vodafone. Speed is lightning fast compared with VF here in Leros, and the bonus that I can use the iPad and laptop on the same contract. The mifi was €60.

Just get an O2 contract in the UK and use TuGo which directs your phone through the mifi. Saved a fortune in Turkey phoning the UK by this method and it hardly uses data up at all.

We found that data coverage was best on Cosmote throughout Greece - part of the national debt incurred before the olympics!

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We returned back in greece 10 days ago and we too was nicely suprise to be offered 10 GB for 30 euros , summer deal we been told