Best Guide for Southern Eire?

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Not in any version of the constitution that I can find.
They all state "The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland. "

eg: Irish Statute Book
or Constitution of Ireland (consolidated text) - Wikisource, the free online library

Do you have a link to your version?

(not that it matters too much. I don't think the Germans get upset that we call their country Germany rather than Deutschland. There are political reasons why some people might prefer one name or another for Eire / Republic of Ireland. But it's probably best not to let this discussion descend into politics)
You're right, "Republic of Ireland " is purely a vernacular term.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Wiki .

As well as "Ireland", "Éire" or "the Republic of Ireland", the state is also informally called "the Republic", "Southern Ireland" or "the South"; especially when distinguishing the state from the island or when discussing Northern Ireland ("the North").

Not easy for visitors to get it right .

Last edited:

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Wiki .

As well as "Ireland", "Éire" or "the Republic of Ireland", the state is also informally called "the Republic", "Southern Ireland" or "the South"; especially when distinguishing the state from the island or when discussing Northern Ireland ("the North").

Not easy for visitors to get it right .
Also the "26 Counties"!

LouisBrowne

Visit site
The ICC Sailing Directions are very good for pilotage but not so helpful for choosing places to visit. For deciding whether you would like to visit a place and planning the cruise there is the ICC's Cruising Ireland . For SW Ireland there is also Cruising Cork and Kerry which is good for pilotage and planning. I found all three useful last summer.

KevO

Visit site
It's also useful, when seeking destinations, things to do and see, etc., to have a look at the normal tourism websites, such as that of the national tourism authority, Failte Ireland,
www.failteireland.ie
and regional tourism agencies such as;
www.corkkerry.ie
www.visitwexford.ie
I think finding things to do ashore will prob not be an issue, one brother lives in Wexford, another lives in Kerry and a nephew lives in Cork with his family. Anticipate that other siblings will travel down from Sligo, Dublin and Leitrim for meet ups if able. It was harbour facilities and pilot info I was really looking for.

Slowtack

Visit site
Relax chaps... You know where to find it... Although I once met an English sailor on a West Coast mooring who wished to know whether he was in South Ireland or North Ireland...

dgadee

Visit site
My one (a bit old) is from Rosslare to Bloody Foreland.

East and North coast (Norman Keane one from 2014) is Kilmore Quay to Bloody Foreland.

DangerousPirate

Visit site
The Guinness is cold in the pub, the island is green, the water is blue/grey/green. Make sure that if you sail green in green to keep the different shades of green apart and you didn't have too much brown before. All clear so far? :D Eire is also generally prettier above the waterline than under. The rest is up for exploration, I suppose :p
not that it matters too much. I don't think the Germans get upset that we call their country Germany rather than Deutschland
As a german, I really don't mind, but I would like it more if you would call it Deutschland (and can pronounce it right, although that has yet to happen).