Best glue for Formica to marine ply

ColinR

www.victoriashadow.co.uk
I need to replace a bit of the cabin interior which is white formica on marine ply. I can't source formica with that backing so I'm buying the two separately and will glue together. Contact adhesive is recommended but I wondered which one is best. Will Evostick last in a marine environment? Whatever was used when the boat was built (Victoria) has lasted well for 30 years. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Poignard

Visit site
I must say have never found contact adhesives particularly easy to use although I know of no better alternative.

Probably because I so rarely use it I haven't developed the best techniques, especially for large areas.

When I was in HMS Renown I watched some dockyard workmen installing large Formica panels in the accomodation and they made it look easy. I should have paid more attention to what they were doing.

PCUK

Visit site
Sikaflex will work and gives you time to make adjustments and remove air bubbles which contact adhesive doesn't. If you go ahead with contact adhesive, press one edge down, then slowly lower the rest of the sheet as you press down across the surface with a rag to remove any air bubbles that may try to form.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
That's interesting. I used the liquid and getting the lumps out was difficult.

Yes, it can be like smearing lumps of snot, particularly in cool temperatures. Once applied to both surfaces and ready for joining, lay some strips of wood or dowel on the bottom surface, lay the other on top. Withdraw strips from the middle and work outwards, withdrawing the others as progressing, using a wallpaper roller or something similar to iron out any air pockets, as you go.

PabloPicasso

Visit site
How about tek7? Not a contact adhesive I know, but I find it useful for many bonding issues, and its fine in a damp environment like a boat.

Daydream believer

Visit site
When I had my joinery works we often used PVA adhesive to bond formica if we could leave in clamps for a couple of hours. Of course we used a good grade of PVA. It allowed us to move the formica into position if curved etc.
When using contact one should prime the surfaces with thinned contact first to form the initial bond. When dry apply the tack coats & then the 2 surfaces can be placed together once tacky.
A fine toothed spreader can be made from an offcut of formica with the teeth cut with a saw file. If you are worried about lumps it will probably be because the glue is old. Best to thin it before, use or chuck it & get some more

Last edited:

wallacebob

Visit site
Shower/wet room panels off-cuts from skips are free….depends on the size you need. Comes in many attractive textures and colours too. Fully waterproof. They even have a factory in Edinburgh.

geem

Visit site
Did the nav station with epoxy a few years back. Was easier than contact adhesive as plenty of time to adjust. I weighted the formica down until the epoxy set

Tranona

Visit site
if doing a panel off the boat then may be worth doing it a few mm oversize which reduces the need to get it positioned accurately before contact, and then cleaning up the edges either with a router or even a plane.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Have just now glued some Formica onto ply, using Evostick non solvent contact adhesive. Although quite cold in workshop, it spread easily with a paintbrush (which cleaned up with water) but took the best part of an hour until ready for bonding surfaces, it's a case of waiting for colour to turn from milky to clear. Instructions say can be left for up to 8 hours before bonding. Much easier to spread than the the snotty solvent type and bonds instantly on contact.