Best East Coast regattas

Judders

Visit site
It may be a little early to be planning 2017 but there's some logic to it; it makes it less likely that I'll flounce and sell up in favour of a Halcyon 27 or Liz 29 or some such tomfoolery.

As mentioned elsewhere, the Impala Nationals in 2016 will be in Brixham. Handily there are a couple of JOG races in that direction and so it's all set up nicely for a bit of a cruise whilst I'm down there.

Now to the point: I'm currently reading a little Maurice Griffiths (I was on the real ale yesterday and all of a sudden my Swedish fishermans jumper is on and I'm reading M.G. It's a slippery slope) and it once again got me thinking Id like to cruise the Essex and Suffolk rivers again. So here's the embryo of a plan. Make a passage of it to Ramsgate or some such and combine a bit of cruising with a new regatta.

In years gone by, I think Burnham Week was the one to do but was then superceded by Ramsgate. On the other hand I seem to recall there was something worth attending at West Mersea?

What is currently the best event to do on the East Coast if your looking at an IRC boat that rates 0.883?

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Probably either Ramsgate week or the Felixstowe regatta.

As you say Burnham week is a shadow of its former self, West Mersea has a regatta week in August but perhaps isn't the best choice if you are taking racing seriously

Racecruiser

Visit site
We took Raffles to Ramsgate week in 2012 and had an enjoyable week although it was quite tough with the Nationals Champs for the half tonners in our class. Round the Goodwins was pretty bracing but I think was our best result with a 2nd. Royal Temple organisation on and off the water was great and the starts are 5 mins from the harbour entrance. They have an excellent clubhouse, monster trophies and shoreside entertainment every night. Moondog who of course we both dice with in JOG was there in 2012 and they went back the following year I believe.

Racecruiser

Visit site
As it happens an email teaser for Ramsgate Week has just come in - can't fault their communications!

Dates are 24th - 29th July and I've pasted in the email below:

The Ramsgate Week team are busy with the initial preparations of Ramsgate Week 2016. The Notice of Race will be available early January which will include 3 IRC Classes, 3 Cruiser Classes, 2 handed Class and a class for Classic Yachts.
We will start with the Round the Goodwins on Sunday 24th July followed by Ramsgate Week Series and finishing on Friday with the famous Gold Cup. Also this year we are proud to host the IRC Regional Championship which will be a 4 race series Wednesday to Friday.
You can find full details at www.ramsgateweek.com where you will also find the early bird entry offer OPEN

Those entering Ramsgate Week 2016 at the London Boat Show have the chance of Winning a fabulous North Face Jacket, and lots of other goodies sponsored by Whitstable Bay Lager & Pale Ale, also sponsors of Round the Goodwin's Race!

Come and see us at the London Boat Show Stand No: EO21
We look forward to seeing you at South East's most friendliest regatta.

You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

Many thanks
The Ramsgate Week Team
#ramsgateweek