Best cruising areas ? any other than Solent ?

G

As a lot know I venture far and wide .... Russia, Baltics etc. and I like to do something interesting when I return to UK ... I need suggestions of where to cruise in UK.... I have access to those that would move my boat to any area basically before I get ther and then I can cruise .....

I cruise Solent and found it excellent for 'closed area', but fancy somewhere with a bit more interesting things than Sunsail and bad mannered racers ....

Any suggestions ???? I promise I will not bring Solent manners or lack of with me !!!!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by kimhollamby on Wed Jan 30 21:46:25 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

G

Looking for ideas ....

I'm looking for something different ....anything interesting, away from MDL and 'wallet yachting' !

jamesjermain

Visit site
Western Isles (of Scotland)

You could base the boat at the discrete marina at Croabh Haven and explore the Western Isles, perhaps cruising up past Mull and Tobermoray to Skye or out to the Outer Hebrides. The weather is changeable but often very pleasant, particularly during the long days of June.

Slightly less adventurous but still of the beaten track is the Firth of Clyde with its myriad lochs to explore. And should you get bored of the Clyde, you can go out through the Crinan Canal to the Inner and Outer Hebrides anyway.

You will need a sound, sea-going yacht and a good set of oilies but the scenery is unsurpassed and the sailing rewarding.

JJ

G

There are some fabulous sailing areas not far from the Solent, the Channel Islands and the Cote du Granite Rose on the north of Brittany. Why not work your way gradually westward. Devon and Cornwall have some fabulous areas in which to cruise. Leave your boat in Falmouth, or get a mate to deliver, and then work your way round to the Bristol Channel. The south coast of Wales has much to offer and then you can work your way either up that coast or cross the Irish Sea and work up towards Belfast. The lovely thing about all these places is that the people are fantastic; it does not matter whether you are in Cornwall or Wales, Ireland or Scotland wherever you go you will meet soul mates and see magnificent scenery. Or are you after something else?

G

You mentioned the Baltic. It is not very far away and sailing here is wonderful and certainly different from anything you'll find in the UK. If you want more info, e-mil me at andreas.stenius@vencap.fi

Andreas

ChrisJ

Visit site
Go for the East Coast, if you want something different.
From Aldeburgh (or even Lowestoft) in the North, down past (and into ) the Alde, Ore, Deben, Orwell, Stour, Crouch, Roach and the Medway. All very pleasant 6 hour (i.e. 1 tide) sails, with different landings - from expensive marinas to mud-berths and moorings.

Then take a trip across the North Sea (18 to 24 hours), and visit Netherlands.

Cheers, Chris

G

I presently own and sail a 1/4 ton cup baot in Tallinn, Estonia ... I have access to a Conrad 12mtr cruiser and also a Diva 11 mtr Ketch ...... these are all in Tallinn .....

Cheers anyway !

Bergman

Visit site
I would agree with James. The West Coast of Scotland is probably unbeatable, but basically anywhere with water that isn't the Solent must be an improvement.

G

Re: Looking for ideas ....

Channel Islands and Brittany. You will certainly be able to escape the grasping clutches of UK marina operators. All the Islands offer superb sheltered anchorages. The whole of the Brittany coastline offers a lifetime of new anchorages and small harbours. The bonus is in the pleasures of the table.
I am obviously biassed as I spent ten years in Brittany before moving my boat to Jersey.

johndf

Visit site
Re: Looking for ideas ....

Brittany may not count as the British coast, but I agree that it is a brilliant cruising area. This summer I visited the SE coast of England and up as far as London, then returned to my home port (St Helier) via the Normandy coast. It was very different from my usual cruising area (N Brittany), but at the end of the day there was nowhere which appealed to me nearly as much as Brittany. That's not to say that Icannot see the attraction of eg the east coast creeks, but just that, for me, Brittany is lovely. Maybe it's the combination of the rocks, the rivers and the country.

G

i love cruising round the isle of white its just fantastic you should try it and then see what you think

saz
xxxxxxxx

charles_reed

Visit site
I'd agree with James that the best cruising area in the UK are the Western Isles - however you need to have definite masochistic turn to cruise anywhere round the British Isles, cold, mosquitoes, costs, overcrowding, to mention a few of the drawbacks.

I'd suggest the Rias Altas and Biaxas in Galicia as far warmer than the Western Isles, nearly as scenic, and infinitely more inhabited.