Best (cheapest) way to transfer funds from UK (£) to France (€)?

Sailfree

Visit site
There was a similar thread a few weeks ago in the Lounge that prompted me to compare various currency companies again.

The cheapest (but they have a minimum of £10.000) is currency index. They charge me £5 transfer fee and shave only 0.5c of the € exchange rate.

Recent high pound encouraged me to place an order at €1.145 which we be filled (now if!) once the rate reaches €1.15.

During my recent research other popular currency exchange companies shave anything between 0.7c to 1.8c and the transfer charge varies from £0 to 0.7%. All rates vary with a lower amount shave off for greater amounts.

Some credit cards like Halifax Clarity are good as they have no charges but beware they charge not the interbank rate but that days Mastercard or Visa rate. Both are worse than the interbank rate with Visa being the worse.

Last edited:

Tin Tin

Visit site
Just reporting back.

Looked at all the options suggested and decided to go for TransferWise.
Set up my account last night - took all of 10 minutes.
Executed the payment.
Just checked today and the funds are in my French account.

Very pleased. Thanks for the tip.

Flica

Visit site
When I was resident in France I had an account with Credit Agricole.
To top up the account I used to write a cheque on my UK bank, in £ and have it converted to FF and later into €.
Rates were at or above mid-market and they never made me a charge.
It was a Credit etranger passbook account, but I had a debit card and a Mastercard credit card with it.
At present, to pay big bills direct, I use Transferwise € to Italy, Greece and Finland. US$ to the US.

Last edited:

Twin

Visit site
Use Revolut Premium to get free unlimited FX at interbank rate. If not urgent then Standard plan with free exchange for up to 6k euro per month and 0.5% fee thereafter.