Best Budget 24' to 27' Sailboat

thepadd

Visit site
Hi Guys, after having got a Sadler Seawych up and running on Lake Windermere and single handing it. I'm ready to move up a notch.
I'm looking to buy a 24-27ft sailboat either in the northwest (north Wales round to Cumbria) or Southwest (North Devon to say Cardiff).
I have my day skipper and keen to put the stuff I've learnt into practice, either single handed or with the missus/friends/relations/kids.
Budget is limited as I'm saving to hang my 'going to work' boots up and just wear my deck shoes!
Looking for single-handed friendliness, standing room in the cabin (5'11"), separate heads cubicle, sleeps 4, prefer tiller, leaning towards bilge keel so I can dry out up creeks.
Yes I know what BOAT stands for, but I've proved before it can be done on a shoestring, and I know my way around engines (car) and electrics so can do a lot myself. Dont want a wooden boat (I'd LOVE one BUT....) they are money pits, plastic is fantastic :cool:
What are your recommendations? Including cheap mooring options!

E39mad

Visit site
Evolution 26 - lifting keel and can dry out. Julian Everitt design so it sails very well. Asking prices from about £5000

Last edited:

Praxinoscope

Visit site
5'11" headroom not quite, but if you want a great 25 footer that sails superbly, Is light on the helm, and is well built then look no further than a Sadler 25.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
A Jaguar 27 will suit you perfectly - I am biased as it was my previous boat. Mainly fin keel but I believe there were some bilge keels built. Sails well and will look after you in a blow. (and faster than a Contessa 28!)

seumask

Visit site
If lift keel is your thing then Hunter Delta 25. Much better made than the evolution and the keel bolts down if you want a fixed keel. For a bilge keeler it's little sister the Hunter horizon 23 or big brother the Horzion 26 both made from the same origional hull plug as the Delta I believe but may not be quite in your price range.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
If lift keel is your thing then Hunter Delta 25. Much better made than the evolution and the keel bolts down if you want a fixed keel. For a bilge keeler it's little sister the Hunter horizon 23 or big brother the Horzion 26 both made from the same origional hull plug as the Delta I believe but may not be quite in your price range.

The Horizon 23/232 used the Sonata hull with a new deck moulding and internal layout. The Horizon 26 and 27/272/273 were, as you say, based on the Delta (the 27 gained a sugar scoop and additional ballast) while the Horizon 30 used the Impala hull with a sugar scoop.

earlybird

Visit site
For cheap mooring in Cumbria, Ravenglass estuary is completely free if you lay your own. No fee even from Crown Estates. It's also very attractive. Downsides are that it completely dries out, so no fin keelers, and has limited tidal limited access, say HW +/- 1.5 hrs max

V1701

Visit site
Forget makes and models, the best is the one with a relatively recent replacement inboard diesel engine with lowish hours, recent standing rigging and sails, comfortable clean bunk cushions, functioning basic electronics and a spray hood that's not falling apart at the seams. The design of it should suit the type of sailing that you intend to do and the area that you intend to do it in. Focusing on particular makes and models is often not particularly useful...

thepadd

Visit site
Thanks guys, please keep the comments coming. I have a reccying trip coming up and will be looking at locations and boats.

TernVI

Visit site
Just look at the best 'package' of any one of dozens of designs/models.
What's available in a sensible place, in good nick with as much as possible of the 'stuff' you need/want.
No point buying a slightly better design that needs a lot spent, or is at the wrong end of the country.

Look at total cost to get it as you want it, where you want it.
Top tip, you can replace hardware, or paint a hull, but if the interior has been let go that can be a lot of work, expense and disappointment.
Buying something 'nice' and enjoying it may work out better than what looks like a good deal on paper.

MagicalArmchair

Visit site
Cutlass 27... however they are fin keeled, so doesn't tick all the boxes. My father and I went all the way to the med in one when I was 17 through the French Canals. Had four of us living on her at one time through the Camargue...

Thresher

Visit site
I was looking for a Westerly Centaur but then stepped aboard a Leisure 27, that was 20 years ago and I've had no regrets. It ticks all your boxes as long as your not looking for a fast boat.