Best 50hp motor

G

Whould be gratefull for some advice on outboards. I'm setting up some MacGregor 26s for day/weekend charter and wonder what motor would be best. It has to be a 50 so they will water ski. Tohatsu seem common cos there cheep but i wondered about Honda 4 stroke so theres no problems missing the oil out of the tank when you fill up. Do any others d a decent 50 4 stroke? Also what about diesel outboards. I thought they used to do them. This might get round the safty problem of petrol on a charter boat. Any advice most welcom here or e-mail me direct. Cheers Pete.

G

Isn't a MacGregor 26 a sailboat?

Think all the major manufacturers make 50 hp 4 strokes.

Selsa? make a diesel outboard.

Only comments are don't let newbies 'mix' the correct ration of 2 stroke oil!

And check spares/prop prices before you decide. Yamaha spares used to cost an arm and a leg, but may be better now. I guess if you're chartering you'll base a decision on how close your nearet dealer is.. Ain't no point finding a brand with cheap spares then waiting three weeks for them to arrive by post...

How you going to water ski behind a sailboat?

Best

Sue

G

I`ve got a Honda 50 4 stroke and its brillient, cheap to run, reliable, and very very quiet. Not sure if it would be the best thing for you to ski of though.

G

You want to let charter people ski ?? - wouldn't want to be your insurance co!

Best stick to a 15 hp and let them do a bit less damage!

All the manufacturers do a 4 stroke now - and they are all much the same!

G

I thought a MacGregor 26 was a sail boat. If it's not, 50hp sounds a bit small to plane a 26 footer, even without a skier in tow!!!

G

Some thoughts (all just my opinion, others may disagree)

1. As others have said 50hp on 26 feet will not waterski. Not even close. 150hp would be needed.

2. Tothatsu = total crap, I mean really horrid

3. Dont worry about mixing oil. A decent 50hp will have oil injection so you do not mix oil into the petrol. You just fill an oil reservoir in the engine and the engine automatically injects it, no need to measure any precise 50:1 mixes or anything. An oil fill lasts for several tank fulls of fuel and there's a hooter when you run low.

4. But 4 strokes are still nicer. Quieter, more fuel efficient. But heavier and more expensive.

5. The best 2 strokes are Mercury. Yamaha are also good. Johnson/Evinrude are OK and Suzuki is reasonableish. In 4 strokes Mercury and Yamaha are a joint venture and the 50hp Mercury is same as Yamaha, made by Yamaha.

6. Honda also make excellent 4 strokes. Unlike their larger engines which are miles too heavy, the Honda 50hp is very light (it's 3-cyl compared with the 4-cyl Mercury/Yamaha) and would be excellent.

7. Suggest you contact Barnet Marine for cheapest supply www.ribs.co.uk

G

I know your all very skeptical but i have skied behind a Macgregor 26. Its an American trailer sailer that weighs about 1000kg, for sailing you fill water ballast tanks up and for sking you dont! It will do about 20kts with a 50hp. I was looking at one for a friend but he didnt buy. My opinions for what its worth. Not a very good sailing boat, not a very good motor boat but cheap (good value ?)and a novel design