Benny 21

SteveA

Visit site
I've just getting ready our new Benny 21.7 which has an Assymetrical spinnaker and sliding bowsprit. Although I don't intend using this sail for some time can someone explain how the position of this bowsprit is controlled.
The only control line I've got is the one passing through the bowsprit to connect to the sail which doesn't seem to have any bearing on the position of the bowsprit.

davidwf

Visit site
The bowsprit has ony one position, you do not move it when in use. You have to manualy launch the pole so to speak, if I think I'm going to use the asymetric I launch the pole and leave it there for the duration of the sail. Wards of other boats as well when they see it sticking out front.

The line through the pole is purely for controlling the position of the tack.

I have a 21.7 and fly the asymetric single handed its great fun and fast.

arawa.jpg

SteveA

Visit site
David,

Many thanks for the reply - and what a great picture!

We bought ours in October and I hope to launch within the next couple of days - I'm really looking forward to having some fun with her.

Back to the bowsprit - have you any idea what use the 'spring bolts' opened by toggles part way down the length of it are for? and if you have any pictures of how you rig the spinnaker bag in the cockpit I'd be very greatful!

I've just 'down-sized' from a Moody Halberdier and am looking forward to sailing rather than continuously working on a boat.

Any other advise will be greatfully received.

davidwf

Visit site
The spring pistions at either end are used for stowage there are two wichard pad eyes along the side deck that they clip into, then when extended the rear piston hook clips into another pad eye holding the inboard end in position.

As for the bag well thats probably my least successful thing at the moment, I just clip it to the guard wire and launch, seems to work ok but bag was designed for two guard wires which makes it a bit awkwad. To drop the spnny just luff up and pull on the sheet whilst leting go of the halyard and tack line in turn and stuff it down below. All done from the cockpit.

I too downsized and get far more use out of this boat than I ever did a bigger one. They are fantastic fun and not much can beat them in rivers and sheltered waters, waves however do stop them as they are so light, so you have to sail much freer in choppy conditions.

Piccy below hopefully shows the pole stowed on side deck. Whatever you do don't lubricate the pistons with WD40 it causes the palstic to expand and you'll never get the fitting out of the pole, I know I did it and had to destroy the fitting to get it out, now cannot get a replacement !!!

arawam.jpg

SteveA

Visit site
When I got the boat from the dealers they did say the the spinny bag should be rigged at the cabin entrance and the sail launched from there and that bullseyes needed to be fitted to hold the bag - they did say they would send these but obviously once they had my money for the boat I was forgotten!

davidwf

Visit site
No I clip the bag to the guardwires on the foredeck and then go back to the cockpit to launch it. Not thought of launching from the companionway think things would get caught up. Handy for rebagging it though.

arfa

Visit site
I recently acquire a first 211 with a bowsprit fitted and chute halyard but no rigging for sheets. Does anyone have either photos/advice for the best system for fitting these on the benny 21 ? Thanks

davidwf

Visit site
Sheets go back to spinnaker blocks attached to pad eyes forward of the aft cleats, then onto the winches on the coachroof. Hope that helps. Sheets need to be at least twice boats length and a bit more for luck.

tyce

Visit site
steve, when i am next whizzing past you be sure not to turn in amazement and jealousy at my speed and scratch my lovely gel coat
hee hee

SteveA

Visit site
Tyce

I can see that I'm going to have trouble with you! It reminds me to have a word about your handicap - somewhere under a 1000 should be a good starter.

Steve

dulcibella

blog.mailasail.com
When the troops in the Falklands were told by authority to stop referring to the Falklanders as "Bennies", they switched to calling them "stills" (because they were still Bennies). Enjoy your Still 21.