Before and (hopefully) After

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
On the left - Guapa's old, tired teak deck.
On the right - the cork deck 'our man' did last year.

DSC01284.jpg

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
We're way, way past linseed oil.

It's rotten from underneath.
And why anyone would willingly screw holes in a perfectly waterproof deck is beyond me. By the starboard shrouds the balsa core is mush.

Real teak is better looking - but that's about it.
Now I want something waterproof, natural and maintenance free (and at only just over a third of the cost of real teak).

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Well, i'll add my tuppence worth.... while like most, I prefer the look of real teak, if I was in Will's position, i'd be doing the exact same.... thats if i'd managed to recover enough from the shock of pricing up for real teak in the first place...

And FWIW, despite preferring teak, I can't deny that the cork finish also looks very good, and i'm certain Guapa, already a pretty boat, will look fabulous with her new decks.

Tradewinds

Visit site
Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing the outcome too.

In a few years I'll have to make a decision about my decks & quite like the thermal insulation qualities which would be a plus in the tropics. I just hope it stays glued down & doesn't start curling up under the noonday sun!!

FullCircle

Visit site
I don't think teak is anything to get snotty about. I tried to have it all deleted from my boat when I ordered it.
I like the practicality of the cork, and, dare I say it, the TekDek style products too.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
I consired all options before going for the cork.
Let's face it, apart from the initial purchase this is the largest amount of money I'm ever likely to spend on her.

I've seen TekDek, Flexiteek, ... both just fitted and after several years. What made me go for the cork was that it aged a lot better.
Part of it may have been due with the way the TekDek was laid, but I've seen truly horrible sights. Curled up, flaking decks...

In the end I was presented a 'total package': a heated hangar for winter, a great deal on the cork and a retired shipwright to lay it for me.
I went over to look at the boat he was doing last winter and I was very impressed with the quality of his work.

It came down to: I have to do something about the deck & soon. Price/quality I feel it was the best deal possible.