Been to Oudeschild?

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
Any idea whether Oudeschild has box berths or fingers?
Looks like a good landfall for a passage from Lowestoft to the Frisian Islands, on the chart. After a 24 hour + solo passage, attempting a box berth might be pushing my luck though....

Last edited:

Gargleblaster

Visit site
I often go direct from around the Medusa Buoy to Den Helder on my way to the Baltic single handed. The trick is to manage your sleep on the way. I find 10 fifteen minute sleeps can be as refreshing as a straight sleep all night and allow me to handle most tricky situations when approaching a busy coastline or marina. Sleep experts will tell you that the period immediately after you go to sleep is the most refreshing and gets the brain going as it should again. I use three wind up kitchen alarms to wake me again. I find the kitchen alarm is best as it takes a quarter turn to reset it and requires no thinking process. 15 minute sleeps during the day are just as good as at night but it is harder to spot another vessel or platform during the day - at night they are lit up and fairly obvious. I would also suggest sleeping in the cockpit with a camping mattress and pillow. I wrote and article for PBO a couple of years back called 'Sleep and the Long Distance Single Hander'. If you think sleep might solve your problem I could forward it to you if you send me your email in a PM.

Ali-alshira

Visit site
We haven't been there for a while, but I remember fingers and alongside, and the convention is just to go on and find yourself a berth.
If you go to DenHelder, then you are often greeted by a Harbourmaster who will help you with lines, so that's a good option too.
IJMuiden has fingers or alongside (as you first go in, but several miles walk to the loos!). When we have arrived exhausted, we've taken an alongside berth and moved to a bettr one after a sleep and a meal.

Daverw

Visit site
We haven't been there for a while, but I remember fingers and alongside, and the convention is just to go on and find yourself a berth.
If you go to DenHelder, then you are often greeted by a Harbourmaster who will help you with lines, so that's a good option too.
IJMuiden has fingers or alongside (as you first go in, but several miles walk to the loos!). When we have arrived exhausted, we've taken an alongside berth and moved to a bettr one after a sleep and a meal.
Our first time at Ijmuiden also tired so went into first available hearth, just wanted to rest and then had the walk for what seemed miles to office and loos, second time berthed as deep in as possible, it’s like playing chicken, how far do you go before you have to back out in a dead end

sailorman

Visit site
Our first time at Ijmuiden also tired so went into first available hearth, just wanted to rest and then had the walk for what seemed miles to office and loos, second time berthed as deep in as possible, it’s like playing chicken, how far do you go before you have to back out in a dead end

The visitors berth in Seaport Marina are right around on the Western side

johnalison

Visit site
I've been there a number of times. It is certainly fingers but I seem to remember they are quite short. The harbour is fine but like all the island harbours gets very busy at weekends. I see no reason why one shouldn't make landfall there, though I imagine that it isn't a Schengen port, if you are going to bother about these things. Texel beer is decent stuff and now sold around the country. There is a bay to the west which is known for its spoonbills.

sailorman

Visit site
I've been there a number of times. It is certainly fingers but I seem to remember they are quite short. The harbour is fine but like all the island harbours gets very busy at weekends. I see no reason why one shouldn't make landfall there, though I imagine that it isn't a Schengen port, if you are going to bother about these things. Texel beer is decent stuff and now sold around the country. There is a bay to the west which is known for its spoonbills.

Many yrs ago one could clear, pre Shengen daze

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
Any idea whether Oudeschild has box berths or fingers?
Looks like a good landfall for a passage from Lowestoft to the Frisian Islands, on the chart. After a 24 hour + solo passage, attempting a box berth might be pushing my luck though....

To update with an answer my own question, from earlier in the year: Oudeschild has a brand spanking new all finger berth marina. And a very lovely setting, with excellent facilities. Got in this afternoon. 26 hours from Lowestoft (on account of it being a beat pretty much all the way. The anticipated veer to the south arrived later than I was expecting!). Anyway. Lovely place. Friendly people.Well worth a visit in my book.Great entry point to Riddle of the Sands territory: https://allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com/

Other threads that may be of interest