Beds on board

prv

Visit site
I for one would defiantly stay on a yacht rather than a b&b

You might definitely (or even defiantly) stay on a yacht, but would you let some random non-boaty person stay on yours?

No way in hell I would, so I doubt they'll ever have many on offer.

Pete

prv

Visit site
Don't worry, prv. It's the Mail so inevitably it's about bedding down on "luxury yachts". Lets us out, I suspect ;)

But to the Maul, every yacht is a "luxury yacht". Even if you're sleeping in a damp sleeping bag on clammy vinyl and shitting in a bucket :p

Pete

abraxus

Visit site
Surely if someone is going to rent out their boat then there must be regulations and safety hoops to jump through?

Tranona

Visit site
Surely if someone is going to rent out their boat then there must be regulations and safety hoops to jump through?

Not if it does not move - then it becomes a commercial vessel and needs to be coded. There may however, be other constraints particularly from the owner of the berth it occupies. i can see inland waterways users or boats on residential moorings being interested in renting out their boats (bit like holiday park caravans) - but not yachts, luxury or otherwise.

Tranona

Visit site
Maybe if it doesn't then it's a holiday home and needs gas safety certificates, fireproof furnishings, etc?

Pete

Maybe. Not sure whether the legislation covers this type of situation. Nice project for a jobsworth. The website said all boats should be safe and comply with all local regulations. So guess that is up to the owner to make sure it complies. Website is heavy on big MOBOs in Majorca (and Poole!) so target market does not seem to be sailboats. Probably many will be charter boats looking for extra income streams without the cost of providing fuel, crew etc.

prv

Visit site
Probably many will be charter boats looking for extra income streams without the cost of providing fuel, crew etc.

True; if you have a charter boat that's not out on charter all the time, this might be a way of filling the gaps.

Last time it came up, the website I looked at (which may have been this company or another with the same idea, I don't know) was pitching itself at private owners of ordinary boats - completely the wrong target.

Pete

abraxus

Visit site
Not if it does not move - then it becomes a commercial vessel and needs to be coded. There may however, be other constraints particularly from the owner of the berth it occupies. i can see inland waterways users or boats on residential moorings being interested in renting out their boats (bit like holiday park caravans) - but not yachts, luxury or otherwise.
I'm fairly sure there are rules for commercial use on inland waterways and that there are additional BSS and insurance requirements., and possibly a requirement for a commercial licence.

Tranona

Visit site
I'm fairly sure there are rules for commercial use on inland waterways and that there are additional BSS and insurance requirements., and possibly a requirement for a commercial licence.

Yes, but looking a bit further many of the boats seem to be in Majorca.

Wansworth

Visit site
My daughter spent various days with her mates on a 27 footer in Barcelona..... cheap accommodation, no problems..... the Spanish haven't got round to regulations yet.

lpdsn

Visit site
I had an advertisement for a similar scheme pushed through the washboards in Belfast last year, so there seem to be several such schemes on the go.

I'd be surprised if anyone goes for it. The legal position seems a bit ambiguous to say the least. And the potential for non-boaty guests to damage the boat is pretty high - it's hard enough keeping an eye on 'experienced' crew sometimes.