Beaulieu River achoring on North side between Piles or pick up buoy?

frlrubett

Visit site
The literature says that you can anchor on the Beaulieu between Piles 20 and 22. Am thinking about anchoring there in a Northerly F3/4 on Friday night but would prefer to be towards the north side of the channel towards 17 on the 3m contour line. I draw 1.6m.

Is that allowed?

If not, are there pickup buoys between there and Bucklers and is there much fetch on the river in that wind direction? I am with a relatively inexperienced crew so visitors mooring with a good pick up buoy would be ideal. Arriving towards dark and trying to avoid lasooing!

Also, there seems to be a small slipway near to the anchorage, is that OK to use?

Last edited:

Sianna

Visit site
The literature says that you can anchor on the Beaulieu between Piles 20 and 22. Am thinking about anchoring there in a Northerly F3/4 on Friday night but would prefer to be towards the north side of the channel towards 17 on the 3m contour line. I draw 1.6m.

Is that allowed?

If not, are there pickup buoys between there and Bucklers and is there much fetch on the river in that wind direction? I am with a relatively inexperienced crew so visitors mooring with a good pick up buoy would be ideal. Arriving towards dark and trying to avoid lasooing!

Also, there seems to be a small slipway near to the anchorage, is that OK to use?
You can anchor up near Gull island, but It can be quite exposed, the sailing club and slip are private, the tide can be strong and watch for the sandbar, enter the river up by the old lifeboat house, many boats get caught out every year on the bar.

Have a look here for details of mooring:

eOceanic

or contact either Gins Farm or Beaulieu River (Bucklers Hard) for a pick up bouy or pontoon mooring

Beaulieu River & Buckler’s Hard Yacht Harbour | South Coast Marina

Royal Southampton Yacht Club | RSYC

either way enjoy your stop over, its a beautiful river and keep an eye out for the sea eagles.

Moonbeam

Visit site
From memory... if you anchor near the 17 pile on the 3m contour, this will put you close the the middle of the fairway and you will feel like a bit of an obstacle. Much better tucked in on the southern side of the fairway between 20 & 22 as marked on the charts. You don't need to worry about a Northerly 3/4, just leave room to swing with that wind direction without grounding. It's a great place to anchor and watch the coming and goings on the Solent drift by.

FairweatherDave

Visit site
From memory... if you anchor near the 17 pile on the 3m contour, this will put you close the the middle of the fairway and you will feel like a bit of an obstacle. Much better tucked in on the southern side of the fairway between 20 & 22 as marked on the charts. You don't need to worry about a Northerly 3/4, just leave room to swing with that wind direction without grounding. It's a great place to anchor and watch the coming and goings on the Solent drift by.
Agree the South side is normal...but I have seen boats stuck on the south bank in a N wind. So to be in the right place you do feel like you are dropping anchor in the middle of the channel.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
I am firmly under the impression that anchoring in the lower Beaulieu River is no longer allowed.

We have spent many nights there on the hook in the past.

I believe extra visitors bouys have been installed further upstream.

Seagrass damage was cited as the reason for the new rule.

I think a call to the Harbourmaster might clarify the situation.

lustyd

Visit site
It might be allowed but costs almost as much as a mooring but without access to any facilities (which are now excellent!). Unless you need to save time, motor up the river and pick up a buoy.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
So, for our boat, £60 Quid walk ashore, almost £35 Quid for a buoy, £10 Quid to drop the hook.

In the past we have loved the peace by the anchorage.

No doubt we shall anchor there again.

Drawing only a metre we can sit close to the bank. Never touched bottom yet. We are not so constrained by the tide either.