Beaching for maintenance

G

I recently saw a Sigma 38 dried out and made a smart remark about the owners misfortune. I was told that the boat was deliberately beached for underhull maintenance. This was on a stone-free, steep, sandy beach with calm conditions forecast. Does anyone else practise this with fin keel yachts or was it a face-saving excuse for navigational error? It would save a couple of hundred quid for a lift out.

AndrewB

Visit site
It was a goof-up! (Unless the owner was extremely optimistic/stupid).The risk of hull abrasion and possible damage to a lightly constructed GRP boat, should there be anything like waves when the tide returns, is too high.

Drying out alongside is possible (but nerve-racking at first) with a fin keel yacht. This is the cheap alternative to a lift-out.

andy_wilson

Visit site
Sounds perfectly feasable, for scubbing and anti-fouling one side of the flat under belly - the bit that always breaks my back.

Other than that I can't think of any reason why drying out (almost) upright against the quay isn't a better option.

You don't need to empty the tanks, and they won't empty themselves, any work on the inside of a skin fitting is miles easier upright.

If you save £150 by using a wall, you only save another tenner by using a beach!

G

The situation discribed seems crude and unconventinal and risky. To tie up against a quayside or jetty and wait for the tide to go out is however common practice and, so long as the bank is solid and sandy, a very good option. Make sure that you secure your boat well, with a plank between your fenders and the quay and a riggid support from the base of your mast to the quay.

quaelgeist2

Visit site
Most clubs/marinas on the East Coast having the facilities do that regularly for inspection, cleaning, antifouling and repairs to engine/rudder etc. Just check there - we called it the scrubbing dock. Depending on your draft only certain days will work and you got to be there spot on high water.

Rather than base of mast to quay, tie a line to the main halyard. Through the enourmous lever from the mast you hardly need to pull.

have fun
christian